Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have a 6 year old Imac that has a new hard drive but keeps

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old Imac that has a new hard drive but keeps freezing no matter what I am doing. Also it has lines going across the monitor.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

If your Mac is freezing, it indicates several problems like Problem with RAM, Logic Board, HDD or may be the System Files are corrupted.

The lines on the Monitor is not a good sign. It usually happens if your Graphic Card is failing. We can try some troubleshooting steps and see if it helps or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked.

Best Regards,