Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs

I have a Belkin 840A router and cannot connect.

Customer Question

I have a Belkin 840A router and cannot connect. Rang Belkin, was on the phone for an hour and we tried everything, no good, Belkin advised me to contact you. I get to enter password XXXXX it is rejected 'Error Login', have tried the guest password XXXXX the same result. Have a laptop a desk top and a Kindle book reader, all working perfectly. Help, Terry Roche 01296 631535 or terryroche@
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer, Ranked #1 Networking Expert in JustAnswer.com. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "BELKIN" and no password will be asked (we can setup a password after all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 60 seconds. (yes, 60 seconds please)

4- Then unplug the router from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

Then please follow the steps below from your wireless computer with Windows XP:
1- Click Start, then Control Panel

2- Double click on "Network Connections"

3- Right click your "Wireless Network Connection" and select "View Available Wireless Networks"

4- Now you will see a window with a list of network names. Select your wireless network name ("BELKIN") and click "Connect"

5- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You have caused me great grief. Tried your suggestion and finished up without an internet connection, rang Belkin who got me going again.

The cause of my complaint was sorted by typeing the password in uppercase letters, simple really and not worth £ 13.00

Regards Terry Roche