Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

I am trying to send attachments through my hotmail account

I am trying to send attachments through my hotmail account and I get a message stating Attachment Id has bad format. Can someone please help me? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Which program do you use to access your email (Outlook, Entourage, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)?

Customer:

I access my hotmail via the internet directly and not via Outlook etc

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you for the update.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, do not forget to click the Accept button if you found my answer helpful.

I am assuming that you use Safari for accessing your e-mails.

- Open Safari
- In the top menu bar, click Safari
- Click EMPTY CACHE
- Click the Empty button
- In the top menu bar, click Safari again
- Click Reset Safari
- Reset
Verify now that you can send attachments.

After you click the Accept button and click Ok now, you can always continue communication with me if you have problems by logging into this site and pulling up this chat history.

Thank you,
- Jason

Mac Extraordinaire :

----->>> Please, use the Scrollbar on the Right Side of the page to SCROLL UP and see your answer :)

Customer:

Hi Jason

Mac Extraordinaire :

hello

Customer:

Hi Jason, I've just done this and still not allowing me to send attachments.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Oh ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

May I please, remote into your Mac so that I can help you resolve this problem?

Customer:

Yes How is this done

Mac Extraordinaire :

Great

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run:http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=8f4e6a4f-0420-4e8b-8bc6-5d075326e6c5&SUPPORT=OSX

Customer:

i keep getting a message saying that I am unable to launch application

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok, it appears that we will have to do this the old-fashioned way.

Mac Extraordinaire :

What kind of attachments are you trying to send?

Customer:

I have tried word, excel and PDF files without any luck

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

Do you have another Internet browser that you can use? (Firefox, Interenet Explorer, Opera, or something of the like?)

Customer:

I have two computers in my home and both are Mac's. I have opened my Hotmail and sent attachments form the other computer and all was good. Apart from this I don't have anything else to use. I hope that this answers your question?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Oh ok...

Mac Extraordinaire :

That makes me believe that it is a problem with the Internet browser.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, try sending attachments in a different browser.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Are you doing that now?

Customer:

no, still will not allow me to attach documents

Mac Extraordinaire :

ok.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Which browser did you use?

Customer:

Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what a browser is? I just opened another window and opened Hotmail again and it still didn't work

Mac Extraordinaire :

Your browser is the program you use to access the Internet.

Mac Extraordinaire :

As of right now, you are using "Safari", correct?

Mac Extraordinaire :

I asked you earlier to use a different browser; not just open a new window in this browser.

Customer:

Yes I am using Safari, please advise how can use a different browser?

Customer:

Yes I am using Safari.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Oh ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

I am assuming that you do not have Firefox installed.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, click the following link: http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.19&os=osx&lang=en-US

Mac Extraordinaire :

Download, save, and install that DMG file you are presented with.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Once that is installed, you can run Firefox the browser and access your email that way.

Customer:

Yep just tried this and the exactly the same problem, still unable to attach documents

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

Are you using the Firefox program to open the page?

Customer:

yes I used the Firefox program to open Hotmail and then tried to attach files and the same thing happened, I was returned to the original hotmail message page and the attachment banner or logo disappears as it does with Safari

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you for the update.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Do you want to try the remote session once more?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, click the following link and allow all to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=9d938bb2-2b4d-45da-8d07-2bc4b4994441&SUPPORT=OSX

Customer:

ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you

Customer:

Still unable to launch

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

When was the last time you were able to send attachments?

Customer:

Before I downloaded OS X Lion just a few days ago

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok...

Mac Extraordinaire :

That is the first I heard about that update.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Do you have Time Machine setup?

Customer:

no I use an external hard drive called Lacie that I back up about once a month

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Customer:

I am having to go now and will not be at this computer until 16 August. Can I leave it with you to see if you can come up with a solution for me. Am I able to hook back in at a later date?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Yes, we can surely do that.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.