Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

Hi. May I please receive a MOST rapid response? My gmail

Hi. May I please receive a MOST rapid response? My gmail account is "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX". It is set to IMAP, not POP. I would like to email all my contacts which number less than 1800. I would like that my email blast be all "BCC" 1) What is the maximum number of gmail initiated messages that i can NOW directly send from my gmail account? 2) At what point, do I need to use gmail's web server? 3) How do I get to gmail's web server? 4) Do I need to use gmail's server in the case of the size of my current contact data base? If not yet, at what size? 5) Is there any limit to the size of the email message itself or a potential attachment that could or will impact the number of email message I may send either directly from gmail or via the gmail web server? Does this matter if I am sending my message "BCC"? 6) If a create a "Gmall group", can I send more messages at 1 time, than if I sent messages directly A) directly from my account, or B) from my account or B) from the Gmail web server? 7) Can you also comment as to how I can send the same email to all my 706 1st level connection on Linked in...I am familiar with how to reach my contacts from the limited character section close to the top of the page, but my email message (2-3 paragraphs) will exceed the limited characters allowed.  ie. Can I send my email as a word attachment? Or is there another option by which to get the entire message out? Again, really appreciate an ASAP response as need to start emailing my message out NOW! Thanks much and if you need to call me, I can be reached live at 1(NNN) NNN-NNNNor via my cell 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN(+ I text)! Thanks TONS! Valerie X. XXXXXX, MBA
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

I am writing up all of your answers now.

Mac Extraordinaire :

When using the Gmail webmail portion, the following limits are set in place:
- You can only Send 500 messages per day; in other words, you can only press the SEND button 500 times in one day.
- You can only send an email to 500 different people at the same time (500 people in the To, CC, or BCC, fields).
- All in all, you can only send a maximum of 2000 emails per day (ie, 4 emails to 500 people or 20 emails to 100 people).
- If you try and send an email to more than 500 people at the same time, Gmail may temporarily disable your account.
- You can send and receive messages that have up to 25 megabytes (MB) in size attachments, but the recipients may not be able to open any attachments above 10 MB because that is the general limit for email attachment size.

Mac Extraordinaire :

There is no way to bypass the security protocols that Gmail has in place.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, let me know if you need any further clarification or help.

Mac Extraordinaire :
Mac Extraordinaire :

----->>> Please, use the Scrollbar on the Right Side of the page to SCROLL UP and see your answer :)

Customer :

I don't think you answered all my 7 questions. Can I please get an answer to the rest? Thanks, Valerie

Mac Extraordinaire :

Hello

Mac Extraordinaire :

Sorry, for the misunderstanding. Which of the seven questions did I not answer? You can just tell me the number(s) and I will answer those.

Customer :

please also send my question and all your answers to my gmail account, which I provided in the body of my text and on the required page so that I could print the answer. I now So if you send me back my questions

Mac Extraordinaire :

I tried to sum up the answers to all of your questions in my first response.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Using the Webmail portion of Gmail is the portion that will allow you to send the most emails per day and per person. If you use an external mail client, you will be limited even more.

Customer :

I see your latest response of 3:10AM. So if you send me back my questions with your answers, I will print all, then be able to comment by the numbers for which i did not see answers. OK?

Customer :

Also, since I accepted Jesse to work on my questions, but you answered them instead, can I please see your bio?

Mac Extraordinaire :

There was no reference to you requesting Jesse anywhere. Sorry about that.

Mac Extraordinaire :

You can view my bio at the following link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/

Customer :

ok.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Of your 7 questions, which numbers were not answered?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Or did you want me to answer them one by one?

Mac Extraordinaire :

I will do that.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, do not leave the chatroom without letting me first know. I will have this complete within a minute or two.

Customer :

Yes. please copy each question into a "large" emall, then write the answer to each #, below its question. thanks! that was the reason for numbering each question.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you

Mac Extraordinaire :

I will have that in one minute.

Customer :

if I don't respond asap when you send email, just give me 5-10 min as i have some things to do around house but will return to print your email, then think and respond here. ok?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you.

Mac Extraordinaire :

I will have this complete in 30 seconds.

Mac Extraordinaire :

1) What is the maximum number of gmail initiated messages that i can NOW directly send from my gmail account?

2) At what point, do I need to use gmail's web server?
If you want to send more than 100, you will need to use the web server because external mail clients only allow 100 at a time.

3) How do I get to gmail's web server?
Gmail's web server is accessible at http://www.Gmail.com

4) Do I need to use gmail's server in the case of the size of my current contact data base? If not yet, at what size?
I do not understand what this question is asking.

5) Is there any limit to the size of the email message itself or a potential attachment that could or will impact the number of email message I may send either directly from gmail or via the gmail web server? Does this matter if I am sending my message "BCC"?
The attachment size's limit is 25 MB. But other recipient's email servers will probably have a 10MB limit if they are not Gmail.

6) If a create a "Gmall group", can I send more messages at 1 time, than if I sent messages directly A) directly from my account, or B) from my account or B) from the Gmail web server?
The same rules apply that I mentioned in response to your first question (question # XXXXX).

7) Can you also comment as to how I can send the same email to all my 706 1st level connection on Linked in...I am familiar with how to reach my contacts from the limited character section close to the top of the page, but my email message (2-3 paragraphs) will exceed the limited characters allowed. ie. Can I send my email as a word attachment? Or is there another option by which to get the entire message out?
- You can still only send 500 people a message at one time. You would have to create two groups (500 in the first and 206 in the second).
- If the character limit is reached, you will have to attach the message via a word document or text file.

Customer :

pls note i am looking for anal and gory details. i have held a high mid mgmt job at the un and don't want glossed over answers. ok/ take more time

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you for the clarification.

Mac Extraordinaire :

I was unable to answer question 4 because I do not understand the question.

Customer :

how do i print your answers? I asked for your answers to come in an email, which meant NOT ONLY in the format above! #4 was explained in my opening parag

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

The answer to question 1 answers question 4.

Customer :

i am waiting for your answers to come to 'XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX'.

Mac Extraordinaire :

No.

Mac Extraordinaire :

I am not allowed to send any emails.

Mac Extraordinaire :

After you click the Accept button, the layout of the page will change and allow printing.

Mac Extraordinaire :
Mac Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can help clarify before you click the Accept button for me?

Customer :

simply saying i can reach the web server via "http://www.Gmail.com" doesn't make sense to me. Exactly HOW do I get there from www.gmail.com? Also, in particular if in Q #1 you say i can send to 500 different people, then HOW COME you ALSO say I must use the web server if I want to send to more than 100? Again, in my opening paragraph, which also answers your question, to my Q #4, I said I have < 1800 contacts in my gmail contacts data base!

Mac Extraordinaire :

Using the web server, you go to www.gmail.com and log into your email account there. Once you are logged in, you are 'at the web server'.

You can send to 500 people at the same time if you use the web server. If you use Outlook or another external client, you can only send an email to 100 people at a time.

Customer :

Additionally, (Q # XXXXX) under WHAT KIND OF CIRCUMSTANCE, MUST i use gmail's web server?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Being that you have 1,800 people in your contact list, if you wanted to send an email to all of them, you would have to break it down to at least four different emails.

Mac Extraordinaire :

I suggest that you ONLY use the web server portion (logging into www.Gmail.com) because that gives you the most options and allows you to send the most emails out per day and per person.

Customer :

OK. now i understand the definition of gmail's web server. it is what i anticipated.

Customer :

now, how i send emails to my linked in contacts?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok, thank you.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can help clear up?

Customer :

when you say in "one day", does that mean in a 24 hour period, or in a calendar day? please note I am still going thru my questions and your answers… this scrolling up and down takes longer...

Mac Extraordinaire :

"One day" refers to 24 hours.

Mac Extraordinaire :

So, if you reach the limit, you would have to wait 24 hours from that point in time.

Customer :

Q # XXXXX: are you SURE that linked in allows for a word attachment and for creating groups? also, what if people don't indicate their emails? I don't think there is even a section for that! there is a behind the scenes requirement, clearly, but I don't think I can access that info, nor do I know how to do so, nor do HOW to get to that info. Can you specifically walk me through how to get there? my exact link is "www.linkedin.com/in/valeriejaffee/"

Customer :

FYI. haven't yet gone to your bio

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok... You cannot add attachments to emails that you send via Linked In. You will have to send only text.

Customer :

how many pages in word is 25mb AND can i fit into that # XXXXX pages, and # XXXXX on the last page, under the following criteria: with margins all around (top, bottom, left and right) of .7, aria font, single space, single carriage return, font size of 12, content in the header and footer with a line above and below the content which occupies a single line. The body of the page's content starts 1 line down from the 'top' of the page and ends 1 line up from the 'bottom' of the page.

Mac Extraordinaire :

As far as that goes, the size of the word document depends mostly on whether or not you have images in your word document or not.

Mac Extraordinaire :

You can have a couple hundred paged document that contains only text that will be only 1 MB in size.

Customer :

thus, please confirm, as re. linked in, the only place within which i can send out announcements is that small box near the top of the profile… that can be changed constantly… does my personal announcement to my entire network (or just directly to my 1st level contacts ???) go out each time i make a change to this "update box???

Mac Extraordinaire :

When you make changes on Linked In, your contacts are updated through Linked In.

Customer :

assume no images in the document? or better yet, look at www.lexicon.com. or EVEN BETTER…

"Look at the link for LEXICATER. A 100,000 word dictionary - read the definitions, guess the words.http://t.co/zj1ljxJ

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

I am looking at that now.

Customer :

Again, does "Contacts" mean 1st level - in my case, only my 706 1st level connections or ALL of their first through 3rd level contacts, which means they reach well over 1 Million people!!!! I am going to step away for 5-10 min then come back...

Mac Extraordinaire :

If it is only text, 100,000 words is 0.21 MB in size.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, let me know when you return.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, do not forget to click the Accept button on the bottom right of the page and the resulting "Ok" button. That is the only way this site gives us experts credit for helping.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Once you click the Accept button and the resulting Ok button, your deposit that you have already been charged, will be released. I only I get credit from the website or get paid for my time if you click the Accept button and then click Ok.

Customer :

you didn't answer my question: if I added the images from the http site for lexicater does that dramatically reduce the size of the document I would send to my gmail recipient list? Or IF i sent the entire lexicater document from the http site what size would that document be? thanks.

Customer :

as re linked in, does each update go to only my 1st level contacts or my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level contacts?

Mac Extraordinaire :

The size of the document depends on many things.

Customer :

is there another way to select the 1st 500 emails of my list, then to click individually on 500 names? What if I come to the end of a page on my contact list and want to go to the next page? will it allow me to do so & remember that i have checked everything on the prior page or is there another faster way?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Yes, it will remember the contacts that you have checked.

Mac Extraordinaire :

The best solution would be to create a group if you send emails to the same group of people.

Customer :

please guess the size of that http file that you reviewed from clicking on the tweet link …

Customer :

i have never sent an email to a group and i don't know that I will ever send an email to the 1st 500 of my contact list again...

Mac Extraordinaire :

The link you sent me earlier is under 10MB

Customer :

i am thinking the simplest way to hit my entire db is to just hit everyone and then call up those needing personal attention or a "distributor agreement" and do a follow-on pitch and talk to them….

Mac Extraordinaire :

I agree with your last statement.

Customer :

again, is there any other fast way to select 500 people? LIke can someone help me? Or can i choose, say "A through D" or with a single click, select an entire page?

Customer :

my fingers are worn down from typing and now i have no energy to get anything out tonight / this AM…

Mac Extraordinaire :

I understand. You can create a list in the contacts and add the 500 contacts that way. You can click the first contact, then while holding the shift button down, click the last contact in the list. Then all contacts between the first and last contact will be chosen.

Customer :

does that work if I want to include people bewteen pgs 1 and, i don't know, pg 10. How many people are on a page? Can I modify the quantity per page? Can I hold the shift key down and "leap" directly from pg 1 to pg 10?

Mac Extraordinaire :

You cannot skip contacts as you describe.

Mac Extraordinaire :

For instance....

Customer :

for instance, what?

Mac Extraordinaire :

You could select the 5th contact on the first page, then SHIFT select the 10th contact, then the contacts 5-10 will be selected. Then you can go to page 3 and select the 3rd contact and shift select the 20th contact.

Now contacts on page 1 (5--10) and page 3 (contacts 3-20 ) will be chosen.

Customer :

what about rest of my question above?

Mac Extraordinaire :

WHat part of that question did I not answer?>'

Customer :

How many contacts are on a page? Can I increase the quantity per page and if so to what number?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Oh ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

In GMail, click the "Sprocket" icon on the top right of the page and choose "Mail Settings", please.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Half way down the page, locate the "Maximum Page Size" value and the "Show ### contacts per page" field.

Mac Extraordinaire :

You can change that number up to 250 and then click the Save button on the bottom of the page.

Customer :

what does the "Sprocket" icon look like? is the far top and far right of all icons? is there also a way to select all contacts on that page? How? A single key stroke?

Mac Extraordinaire :

The way to select all on that page is to click the checkbox on the top of the list that is located to the left of the "Add to my contacts" button.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Full Size Image

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, click that image I just posted.

Mac Extraordinaire :

It shows a red arrow pointing to the sprocket and the "select all box"

Customer :

PLease also show me where the following are located: A) "Mail Settings",

B) Half way down the page, locate the "Maximum Page Size" value, and C) "Show ### XXXXX per page" field

Mac Extraordinaire :

Full Size Image

Mac Extraordinaire :

Full Size Image

Mac Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can help with?

Mac Extraordinaire :
Mac Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can help with before you click the Accept button?

Customer :

can i go to sleep and regroup my thoughts and continue when i awake. i am sleep walking…or must i decide now?

Mac Extraordinaire :

You can always come back and continue with me if you have any further questions.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, click the Accept button now if you can.

Customer :

it's been almost 3 hrs of chatting and i expected this to take 1 hour max and i would get out all my emails tonight ….

Customer :

i know i

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you very much for your time.

Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.