Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

how can I change my log in password

Customer Question

how can I change my log in password?, sorry does my log in password XXXXX for my e-mail account with senet or the one used by others to get into my computer ?

I am not too sure about these two but think i know them both. Also the deposit of 69 dollars is that for a once only or a few questions ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.

Rick :

Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer. Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Rick :

Reply back if you still require assistance. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

Dear Rick,

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

Please answer my question, or have I not looked in the correct place for the answer.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

regards

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

dear rick please answer my question, or have i not looked in the correct place for the answer, regards

Rick :

I'll be happy to answer your Question. What application is asking for your password on your Mac?

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

what application /, erm, none I just wish to do this. It is my private computer and I have let others in while i have been away and I want to stop this, I want a new pass woed , how do I go about this?

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

regards

Rick :

You wish to change the admin account password on your Mac then?

Rick :

Click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner of your screen and select System Preferences...

Rick :

Next, locate "Users and Groups" it will open another panel. IT should locate your current logon account on the left hand side. To the right, you will see a "Change Password" button. Click on that and enter your old password, then your new password (twice). If you wish to supply a password hint, that is optional. Lastly, click "Change Password". That is all there is to it.

Rick :

Reply back if you encounter any difficulties. Thank you!

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

I have done what was sugested, but the password has not changed and now I can't try it again as it will not accept my old master pass word. Help, I have been on night duty hence my slow reply. thank you, please give me some extra help.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

and i did not find users and groups I went into sequrity under the personal area after selecting system preferences. cripes i am not good at this , help :(

Rick :

Go back to System Preferences... then locate the System heading, you will find Users and Groups there.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

ok will try now woo hoo you are there :}

Rick :

Yes, I want to get this fixed for you.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

rick can't see system heading in the system prefs

Rick :

In System Preferences click on "Show All"

Rick :

Then you should see "System"

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

doesnt change the options i can see

Rick :

Tell me what you see

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

accounts, date and time,software up date, speech,start updisc, universal acsess is all in system

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

By the way I have not had much sleep since work last night I am sorry for all the typos, believie it or not I am a senior registered nurse and hold a degree in graphic design, BUT this Imac has me completely beaten :(

Rick :

what version OS X are you running?

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

10.4.11

Rick :

thank you. do you see a magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the menu bar?

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

yes

Rick :

type in "users"

Rick :

do you see the seach result "users and groups

Rick :

"?

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

no

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

and i have tried sherlok

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

oops

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

are you still there

Rick :

yes, just a minute

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

sorry i hit accept by mistake

Rick :

Do you have the Installation Disks for your iMac?

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

probbably , but they at another location, just a minuite from my home office in a cottage, yikes do I need to get them?

Rick :

I'll give you the instructions.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

well yes I do , but I did not install them a young tec whizz did it for 3 or so years ago

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

do i need the discs/

Rick :

Yes. It's very simple. Here are the instructions:

Rick :

Installation DVD
If you have forgotten the administrator password on your system and have no other administrative access, you can use the OS X installation DVD to reset the password. To do this, follow this procedure:

1. Insert the installation DVD and restart the system with the C key held down.
  2. Select your language in the installer, and then select Reset Password from the Utilities menu.
  3. Select the Admin account and then reset the password.
  4. Restart the computer.

This method can be used to reset the password on any account in the system so you can log in to that account from the log-in window

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

i will need 5 mins or so to find them all

Rick :

Print those out and let me know how it goes.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

ok, can I still find you here even though I hit the accept button? sorry

Rick :

Yes, just reply back.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

I will be awhile I think 1/2 hour or so family screaming for lunch , groan :(

Rick :

Sure. No worries.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

thank you Rick

Rick :

You're very welcome.

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

Hi Rick,

JACUSTOMER-solf7sdn- :

Hi Rick, I'm an apple technician 2 hours drive from Sarah's home office. She's requested me to update you with what I did to the computer. She's switched on filevault accidentally, and somehow corrupted her home folder, so basically I just created a new admin user, and copied all her data across from her old home folder, which was luckily still able to be accessed. So the computer is all good now. Sarah says what a tricky thing, but thankfully it all works now. Regards, Shem (technician) and Sarah

Rick :

Fine business. Thank you for the update. BTW - I'm not fan of FileVault.

Rick :

*a