Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I can not access adobe product or support pages (cached) --

I can not access adobe product or support pages (cached) -- recently I tried to purchase the software from a re-seller, but the company that was selling the software was fraudulent. I reported this to adobe. Since then, I am unable to contact adobe. I need to know if the adobe design suite is compatible with Lion OS and I need to connect with adobe. How can I solve these issues. The 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX adobe # XXXXX a wait of over 50 minutes. I can't solve this alone.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes adobe CS5 and 5.5 is Lion compatible:

Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test that Adobe® Creative Suite® 5 and CS5.5 suite editions and individual products run reliably on Intel® based systems running Mac OS X Lion (v10.7) with optimal performance and user experience. Earlier versions of Adobe Photoshop® (CS3 and CS4) software were also tested with Lion, and issues that were discovered are being documented and addressed by working closely with Apple.

See the Knowledgebase article for known issues we have discovered in our testing.

As with any new release of an operating system, there may be additional unexpected issues that arise that were not uncovered during testing. If you encounter any issues, report them on our bug report form.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Understood?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please note the primary problem -- adobe site blocked on my computer.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Why would there be a site blocker?? I know of no Adobe site blocker why do you think that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Adobe is not blocking my site. I checked with adobe. Your help procedures are inadequate -- never identifying the problem. Thanks for rushing to supply a $.50 answer re: Lion -- that is an easy google. You still haven't asked any of the right questions. I downloaded an adobe product through a reseller -- the reseller was fraudulent. There is an associated app that is causing the problem -- you really got this one right. I do not want your help and I do not want to pay the price for "no help at all"
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I was just asking a question do you know what app was installed? I did not give you an answer yet, no need to be rude.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go to System Preferences / Accounts / choose your account ad tell me what is listed under Login Items.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not about you. It's about the $58 charge for the help I need -- a solution that works. Of course I wouldn't be willing to pay that price if I had a simple problem. And I don't like being rude. The charge adds insult to injury.
I don't see Accounts in System Preferences -- I go to the apple in the left corner, click on it and open System Preferences -- the closest thing to Accounts is Users
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes sorry in Lion it is Users & Groups. This is a pay per question website and you have not Accepted yet which means I have not been paid, not until you Accept, do you want to continue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here's the thing -- I contacted apple tech support yesterday afternoon. A senior tech was unable to break this down. And we worked for longer than an hour (no charge). She did download an app that could trace the actions and she sent it to mechanics. I doubt that this is an issue that can be resolved this way. I was mistaken to think so.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
This is not Apple. OK bye.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I am guessing it altered your hosts file which tells the computer where sites are, you can download this and it will tell you. If you want me to help you with it let me know:

http://code.google.com/p/gmask/downloads/detail?name=Gas%20Mask%200.5.1.dmg&can=2&q=
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Certainly the right approach -- don't mind paying if I can solve this. I'm away from my office -- we looked in the terminal -- seems to affect all browsers on my mac.Only adobe.com -- no other sites. Appears purpose of app is to block adobe from initializing software but serves to block adobe server altogether. Do you want to continue -- might burn up some time and apple tech is working on it.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK but this is a pay per question website if you are satisfied you will Accept?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Of course
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK, sorry but you’de be surprised how many people don‘t. Download Gas Mask and copy it to Applications folder and open it. You will see a little Gas Mask in the menu bar at the top of the screen. Select it and go to Show Editor Window, there you will see a list under Local select the one that is checked and copy what is on the right and paste it here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do this when I get home -- using blackberry to correspond. I assume this is one Question -- no additional charges. Don't worry -- if you can fix this I will be happy to accept charges. $58 one time.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I don‘t know about your account but yes, if you Accept this is a one time Answer. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
First time using service -- no previous questions. Thanks for contact info -- will proceed later this afternoon -- on Calif time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have gas mas installed and it pulls up the host
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
##
# XXXXX Database
#
# XXXXX is used to configure the loopback interface
# XXXXX the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 3dns.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate-sea.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate-sjc0.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.wip.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.wip1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.wip2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 crl.verisign.net
127.0.0.1 ood.opsource.net
127.0.0.1 209-34-83-73.ood.opsource.net
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.newoa
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.ntp
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.ipp
127.0.0.1 ereg.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 installer.nemetschek.net
127.0.0.1 piracy.nemetschek.net
127.0.0.1 secure.nemetschek.net
127.0.0.1 obdev.at
127.0.0.1 192.150.18.108
127.0.0.1 192.150.22.40
127.0.0.1 192.150.14.69
127.0.0.1 192.150.8.118
127.0.0.1 192.150.8.100
127.0.0.1 192.150.18.101
127.0.0.1 192.168.112.207
127.0.0.1 194.224.66.48
127.0.0.1 199.7.52.190
127.0.0.1 199.7.52.190:80
127.0.0.1 209.34.83.73:43
127.0.0.1 209.34.83.73:443
127.0.0.1 hl2rcv.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 t3dns.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 tpractivate.adobe.newoa
127.0.0.1 adobeereg.com
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK there should be another called Host file that should only have this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

select it and Activate, restart that should solve your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Somehow WD Smartware appeared on my desktop and I installed it thinking it was the application I was looking for.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is probably some kind of backup software for your external drive I would not use it if I were you, Time Machine works fine. Did you fix the hosts file?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't open the app now -- will keep trying -- am hopeful
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Restart and open it, that should do the trick
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Basically you installed a crack that stops pirated Adobe software from contacting Adobe, not uncommon but it will block you from activating the real thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Restarted -- still can't open gasmask -- how did this WD software appear magically on my computer?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You must have a WD drive. With Gas Mask you might only see the Gas Mask in the menu at the top of the screen. Is it there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see the app in the application file -- it appears as an app -- but it only worked once and I've restarted the comp twice
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you mean you see it in the Dock as active?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see it listed in the app file and the gas mask icon appears in the files
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you mean the Dock what is files?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dock as I know it is a series of icons at the bottom of the desktop -- always in view -- safari, browsers, itunes, etc.
When I go to finder and open it -- then go to applications, I search for the app in the list and it is there -- I tried clicking on it and I tried right click open -- I tried going up to the top of the applications folder where there is an array of icons (apps) and the gas mask icon is there -- I clicked on it several times and tried opening it by right clicking "open"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm thinking about sending the app to the trash and downloading it again -- when it worked last time it was listed under devices as well -- but it isn't now
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I tried to throw the gasmask app in the trash it couldn't move it because it is open -- open where?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You don't see the GAs MAsk icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it's there -- that is the only place i see it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay -- I selected open editor window and now I see the host file
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is fine click on it and open the editor like befioe???? Then there should be another called Host file that should only have this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no there is a LOCAL Original File -- a host database
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If there is not a Hosts file that looks like this, below, just replace the cracked copy with this "exactly" and activate:

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is only one file (on the bottom of the gas mas app it says "one file") on the sidebar it shows the Original File only under the heading LOCAL -- it is the file that I copied for you
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok replace that copy with this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I understand you right -- the Host Database -- as I copied it here -- is the "cracked copy" -- so I randomly copy the 127.0.0.1 ... series and paste it into the Host Database -- i.e. the "Original File" -- select it -- then press activate -- and restart my computer
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I paste it in the Host Database alone or as part of the other series
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No replace ALL the copy this is the default host file, exactly as is:

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
# XXXXX Database
#

Do I copy it and add it to what is there?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No you can replace ALL that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it will look like this after I delete the other stuff?
# XXXXX Database
#
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No I said to replace ALL the copy... If there is a # XXXXX before the line it means nothing you can leave that if you are worried. It basically is ignored
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I won't do this until I'm absolutely sure I'm doing it right -- you must admit -- this can be a little too quick and easy for a new mac user. Please confirm.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes what you just sent me is fine. It will not stop your computer from starting if you make a mistake you MUST be used to Windows. LOL This is a Mac, UNIX relax.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I selected all -- and deleted all
I pasted the new data
I confirmed it with my password
I created a Hosts File somehow but there is nothing there
the Original File is checked -- there is only an option to create -- no option to activate
The original file and the Host file are the same
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
So is this the copy:
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I deleted the new file I created the Host File -- I am creating this as an original file -- I have it selected but the the activate button is not active
YES that is the whole thing that appears
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you select your new file first?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my new file is highlighted or selected and I only have the original file
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Original File
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

selected
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If there is only one file it should already be active just restart.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Probably right since I had to put in my password XXXXX will restart now.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I would Repair Permissions after restart.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't know how to Repair Permissions
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
With Lion you can actually reboot and hold the Option key and when you see the startup drives let go. Choose Recovery HD and you can run Disk Utility from there