Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Help I moved a file to my mac desk top and it dissapeared!!!

Help I moved a file to my mac desk top and it dissapeared!!! I really need this file...Mike
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Where did you move it from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I move it from my my hard drive to the desk top..
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I meant where on your hard drive? The desktop is the hard drive also??? Can you clarify?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This file was in my hard drive, in the applications folder, I selected it and I moved it to my desktop and it asked for a password XXXXX a I entered password XXXXX I moved it to my desktop and it dissapeared..
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Never move applications out of the Applications folder. What app was it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was a program called printsmith...A program for printers, can't find a backup!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Have you done a search for the word printsmith? You should be able to redownload it here:

http://download.cnet.com/PrintSmith/3000-2066_4-3603.html
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all of the customer info is on this computer...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is OK you won‘t lose that. Did you do a search?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Just reinstall then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have the original disks, I took over a printshop, and he doesn't have the disks
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I gave you the link.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but where will i get all of my data?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The data is not stored in the app itself. Have you looked in the trash for the app?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, there is nothing in trash, do you think if I rebooted it would show back up?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I doubt it but you should restart anyway. Have you used Spotlight to search? It has to be there somewhere.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all the files on the desk top will dissapear when I try to move them...any ideas
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What? i did not ask you to move anything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
these were files, no needed any more.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I don't understand what you are trying to say can you clarify?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You said that you didn't tell me to move anything, and I said that these files weren't important. I did do a search again, but din't find anything...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
But what do these files have to do with the problem at hand?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
none, just saying they dissapear also when moved on the desktop.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This didnt work, restarted and it isn't there!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I did not say that would magically make it appear.

So Verify Disk was OK in green and then you Repaired Permissions?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If that was ok go to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferecnes trash the file com.apple.finder.plist and restart
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I bought a program online called Data Recover 3 and was able to find the file and restore it.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK but are files still disappearing if so you still have a problem.