Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi. I recently installed Lion onto my iMac. Now I cannot

Hi. I recently installed Lion onto my iMac. Now I cannot export or share a file from an external voice recorder into iTunes, as I used to be able to, in order that I may then copy and burn the recording onto a CD. I have tried to export the file and I get a drop down sheet with options of where to export it to and I read that 'Audio only' is compatible with all the other formats, but when I try I get a message saying " Cannot Open This media may be damaged." I have tried dragging the file from my desktop, in WMA format into an iTunes folder, but when I get it there and release it, it immediately returns to the desktop. Are you able to help me please? Hopefully Alwyn
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
WMA files have never been supported in iTunes. Have you been using software that came with the recorder? What model is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike,

The recorder is Olympus VN-6500PC. Last week I could plug the recorder into the computer and it would appear on the desk-top. I would open it and have a display of the five folders that the recorder has. Opening one of those folders would show the recordings that were made to that folder. If I clicked on such a recording Quick-time would open and the recording would appear in a black frame with the usual 'play' pause' go to the beginning' and 'go to the end' symbols. I would click on it it and then to to the task bar on the top of the screen, click on file, click on save as, and then a drop down page would appear which would include the options of where and in what format to save the recording file to. I would select to the desk top in the iPhone format. When that had been done, I would open iTunes and drag the newly saved version of the recording into one of the folders in iTunes, which I called 'burn list' and then I could use the iTunes gizmo to burn the recording onto a disc that could be played on our, or other people's CD players.
Then i installed Lion on the computer and now when I try to open a recording from the voice recorder, the computer show a message that it is uploading the 'movie'.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK try this right click on one of the files and go to Open With / Choose Quicktime Player
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Mike, I've just got to go out. I'll be back in about 40 minutes. In the mean time, if i click on a file it will automatically open up in Quicktime. Must dash, back later.

Cheers

Alwyn
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK but if it opens in Quicktime player then you just have to go to Share / iTunes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, just got back. Yes, I've tried that but again I get a message "Cannot Open This media may be damaged."
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Drag one to the desktop first then try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was from the desktop.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow! There is so much in this machine that i didn't (still don't) know about. Now i get a message:-
Disk Utility stopped verifying "Macintosh HD" This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disc (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disc Utility to repair this disc. I don't think I've got the original Mac OS X installation disc, but I do have to hand the Mac OS X Snow Leopard disc. Will that disc do?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Restart and hold the Option key you will see two drives select the one called Recovery HD, when it boot choose Disk Uitlity and then do that again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Forgive me, but which is the options key? I've got escape, function, control. alternative and command.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
alt is option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike,

Sorry not to have got back to you sooner. I did what you suggested, and the computer did some repairing of itself both the files and the permissions. Unfortunately, when I restarted it all the computer couldn't pair with the trackpad. This stopped me form using the computer and so getting in touch. However, having done the repairs and got the track-pad recognised and working, the problem still persists, i.e. the recorded WMA file in Quicktime player will not export or share. I spoke to the Apple support this morning, to get help with the track-pad and tried a few things with him; I think I've changed the default player from quicktime to iTunes, but it still won't do what I need so i've bought a converter from the App Store. I'm struggling with that too, but I'll keep on trying different things with it and see if I can get it to do the business. If not i'll come back to you later, if I may. Thanks for your efforts so far. I'll be in touch later.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Don‘t you have software that came with the device, that is what you should be using.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike

I downloaded the device from the App Store and struggled with it for a while. Then I sent you a message this morning. Spent the day doing other stuff I had to do for work, then this evening had a bother go at it, including reading the Help / Guidance page on the computer. After a few false starts just managed to make a CD copy of a WMA recorded file. So I guess the job is done for now. How much do I owe you guys?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Thanks all you have to do is Accept so I get paid, thanks again.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.