Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I can print using my Canon Pixma500 when connected directly

I can print using my Canon Pixma500 when connected directly to my MacBook Pro without any issues, however when I use the USB cable to plug it in to my Time Capsule (TC) the TC does not recognise the printer.
Is this a common problem?
Can you help me with this as I am desperate to print without being hard wirded to the printer.

Many thanks
When you plug it into the TC you have to add the printer again in Print & Fax. Do you know how to do that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do know how to do this, but it is already there but is "offline".
Do I have to unistall it and start again?
No select the printer that is there now and hit the minus sign then click on the Plus sign and add the printer again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, here goes.
I followed your instructions and there was nothing to select, therefore I plugged in the printer once again to the Mac and set it to work copying a sheet of paper.
When I opened the print queue, it showed a printer Canon MP500 offline.
I then plugged the printer back into the TC and checked the airport utilities but no printer is connected to the TC apparently!!
What next?
So you plug the printer into the TC and then open Airport Utility and connect to the TC and under Printers there is nothing listed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
restart the TC router.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Before I do anything can I just clarify what you mean by a "router"?
Do you want me just to turn everything off at the mains ie printer, TC and my "black box" which is connected to the phone socket in the wall? As you can tell I am not very tech savvy!
No sorry I changed it but you may have missed the edit just restart the TC from the Airport Utility select it and go to Base Station / Restart.
Did you get that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a "Base Station" option.
When I open it up I have a "manual setup" and when I go into, under the Airport icon I have the following
Summary; Time Capsule; Wireless; Access Control. Where do I go to get the restart button?
Just select it and look at the very top of your screen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, done, and then plugged the printer into the USB port of the TC, but it did not recognise it.
I then deleted the printer as you wanted me to do above and tried to add it again, but there was nothing for me to add.
I have then plugged the printer into the Mac again and copied a page in the hope that it will give me a print queue as it did before, but I have got absolutely nothing...

What next?
If it is not showing up in th Airport Utility you will not see it on the Mac either I would say it is defective or maybe the cable needs replacing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you too think it is a printer problem or a cable problem, well ok I will go with that and get a sledge hammer to the bl***y thing!!
You say it works plugged into the Mac right?
You won't be able to use any of the other features of the all in one except printing when connected to the TC so I suggest you just plug it into the Mac and turn on Printer Sharing there.