Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Photoshop CS5. I open a photo (one is a JPEG, the other is

Photoshop CS5. I open a photo (one is a JPEG, the other is a PDF). I want to drop out the background on both. I make selection, Click on refine Edge, click on Refine radius tool and I get a circle with diagonal line inside circle instead of the tool. Same with erase refinements tool.
Select Window / Layers if the layer shows up as a Background you cannot edit it, you need to double click the background layer and make is a regular layer. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that. Didn't work
Are you sure you are on an active layer, not a blank layer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I duplicated the background layer. It isn't locked. I also created a new layer and imported the graphic into the new layer. Same problem.
Save as PSD and then try it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No difference
When you make a selection the only part you can edit is inside that selection. Maybe if you take a screenshot that would help:

To take a sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder.

Or to take a selective sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and the number 4, you will see a little crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go, and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. Let me know when sent.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am taking a screenshot in Photoshop? I'm holding down shift and Command +3. No click and no picture in pictures or desktop folder.
Command is the key just to the left of the spacebar, right??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does it look like this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does what look like this? I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
The refine edge tool should look like that I think. But I get the icon that means you can't use that feature. A circle with the diagonal line.

I have used this feature before without a problem. I just noticed my clock isn't working. could it be a battery problem?
Yes that is what it should look like.

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mac OSX 10.6.8
Processor 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 duo
Memory 4GB
1067 MHzDDR3
Ran the Repair Disk permissions
Verify Disk was OK in green?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike, did you forget about me? I need to leave at 4.
I asked you a question but did not get a reply:

Verify Disk was OK in green?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I sent it 3 times. I hope you get this one.
OK quit PS, go to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/ drag Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings folder to the Desktop then open PS and try it again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That worked. But I had the preferences in two places. I put both on the desktop. what should I do now?
So you mean that fixed it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am working on the file and the tools work. what do I do about the folders on my desktop? What do you think caused this?
Great!! Corrupt Settings file somwhere.... you can just trash that folder PS created new default Settings.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great! I should have done this 3 days ago. I wouldn't have lost so much time.
Thank you
Ok thanks.