Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a new Macbook Pro. When I attempt to create a spreadsheet

Customer Question

I have a new Macbook Pro. When I attempt to create a spreadsheet in Google Docs, OR when I receive an email sent to many recipients or with a long subject line, the screen shifts to (my) extreme right. The slider bar at the bottom of the screen does not effectively get it back to center for more than a split second. The screen automatically misaligns itself again to the right. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go to Apple Logo to System Preferences / Universal Access make sure Zoom is off. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Zoom is OFF.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK I am having trouble understanding what is going on... is this inside a web browser only? Can you take a screenshot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, inside browser only (have trouble with spreadsheet because it's Google docs). This is my first Mac. I could take a screenshot with a PC -- but not sure how to get it to you....

I'll try to explain again---
Whenever there's anything that's on the screen that is wide or a line of text that is unusually long -- the kind of thing that you would use the bottom scroll bar to move the screen over to (the reader's) right --
That's when my screen automatically zips over to (my) left (exposing the far right side) and stays there. I can move the slider on the bottom of the screen to pull it back to center, but it won't stay for even a split second. The screen is immediately pulled back to expose only it's far right side. In other words, I am prevented from seeing (my) left side of the screen.... the most important part.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
To take a sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder.

Or to take a selective sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and the number 4, you will see a little crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go, and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. Let me know when sent.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. Screen shot has been sent. NOTE: THIS DEPICTS A VERY MILD VERSION of what usually happens.
I'll explain it better...
Look at your screen. Imagine that the view has suddenly shifted to your extreme left, exposing only the view of the screen on your extreme right and cutting off the left of the screen. That's what happens. And the left/right scroll bar at the bottom does no good.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hit Command and minus sign to reduce the page. Let me know it seems very large.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still does it..
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go to Safari / Reset Safari
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Reset Safai. However I unchecked Clear Downloads, Remove passwords and Remove website data because Iwas afraid I'd lose my bookmarks. anyway, it still does it.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It will not remove bookmarks only history. OK go to System Preferences / Displays and click on Detect Displays what si the resolution?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had to go about it a little different way. don't know if that matters, or if this is what you'r asking for?
1024 x 640
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What size is the screen on that new Macbook Pro?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
15"
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You need to change the resolution to 1440 by 900, that is the “native” resolution.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Changed it. Makes everything very tiny. Tested email (that I sent a screenshot of). Fixed it. However to double-check I tested Google Docs and tried to create a spreadsheet. Won't give me a column A. Starts at Column K.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes if the text is too small you can hit Command and the plus sign in a web browser and you can also change the appearance of icons, text, etc.. on the desktop, but you should leave it at its native resolution. I don‘t know about Google Docs, I can‘t control how that works.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Changing the resolution made room for the wider screen but I believe the problem still exists. I don't think it's a Google docs problem. I believe it will arise whenever something comes up on the screen that is especially wide. It all results from the same problem... Anything wide trigers to screen to swish to the right and it sticks there. The left/right scrollbar does not seem to work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Seems like it's probably a setting of some kind....
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK go to System Preferences / Spaces, is Spaces turned on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Proc -2 GHz Intel Core i7
Mem 4 GB 1333 MHz DDr3
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Enable Spaces is checked
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Turn off Spaces, that should fix it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Disabled Spaces. Still didn't fix it.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Can you send another screen shot the way it looks now with the new resolution, thanks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sent screenshot. Whenever there is a long line of text (for example, email addresses or attachments, esp in emails rec'd), screen shifts over and sticks.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You must not have sent it the same one is there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sent it again. Screenshot taken at 11:58 Pacific time
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Got it.... it must be something with Earthlink try Firefox and tell me if the same thing happens.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Downloaded Firefox. I really appreciate your trying so hard, but it still does it. It isn't only when I receive an email. I occasionally happens on storefronts and other websites, too.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me a website I can check that does not need a login?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Tried but can't duplicate it. It's (the website thing) is erratic, but occurs every other day or so. Seems like it's when the webiste creator has produced a screen that's really wide. Again, anything wide seems to trigger it.

However, changing the resolution has provided me with more screen space which is helpful. Or perhaps the resolution change has fixed it for everything but emails...... As it is, the new resolution at least allows me to see more of what's on the left side of my screen when it occurs.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
All I can suggest is to hit Command minus or plus until you get to what is a readable text, if you can’t recreate it anywhere except on Earthlink I would say it is something on their webmail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for all your time and effort on this. I still think the slider at the bottom of the screen is the ultimate problem, but the resolution change has at least made the issue do-able. The only way to know for sure whether it's still a problem will be thru continued use, which your changes have allowed me to do. If it continues, I may have to go back to the Apple Store to get it completely resolved, but only time will tell. Again, I really appreciate your patience and your efforts. I'll accept the answer and leave you positive feedback.. Thanks!
PS- I inadvertantly hit accept answer a few replies back. When I hit it again this time it said I'd have to pay twice. Therefore I went back to the confirmation email I rec'd when I clicked Accept Answer by mistake. Only problem is, it did not allow me to send bonus and add positive feedback via that (previous) confirmation email. I don't want to shortchange you. Can you please find out how I can go back and do that?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes thank you so much.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. Please let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did customer service contact you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO, and I sent them an email right after I realized I was locked out of the question. After searching the FAQs I was able to send you a bonus, but still no way to leave feedback.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
ok I will Answer.... DON'T Accept but I think you should see the feedback link. Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Rec'd an email from customer svc and was able to leave feedback. It doesn't show up yet but it probably takes awhile?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK thank you. Please come back if you have other questions:

http://mikethemacmedic.com/