Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Im trying to print an indesign document and I keep getting

I'm trying to print an indesign document and I keep getting the error "Print fail due to unknown error."
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Did you do that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This did not work. Here are the details on my mac.

Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I did not say that would fix it I said let’s check some things:

So Verify Disk was OK in green and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct. These were all ok
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What version of Indesign?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK , can you print fro any other program? Go to Indesign / Help Check for updates if it is up to date go to System Preferences / Print & Fax and delete then add back your printer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have done all that and still no luck.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK can you print fro any other program?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, all other programs are fine to print. The error I'm getting is "Adobe print engine has failed for unknown reasons." This is the document I found at Adobe.

I have gone through these solutions and it's still not working.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK you tried ALL of that? Is it just a certain documnet or All undesign documnets?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Try this:

What does Reset Printing System do?
▪ Deletes all printer queues and jobs.
▪ Resets all printer settings to their default by deleting configuration files.
▪ Performs a permissions check on the /tmp directory.
Any devices that previously appeared in your Printer List and Fax List will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.
Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X 10.6.x
1. To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X 10.6.x, follow these steps:
2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
3. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
4. Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..."