Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Lately my screen has been scrambling when using safari...often

Lately my screen has been scrambling when using safari...often it is not the whole screen, just part of it. How can I fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Did you upgrade to Lion?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK what exactly do you mean by “scrambling“?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the content of the page is pixelated, in largeish blocks - color intact. The screen is also freezing on and off and the response rate when I click on something is slow.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version 10.6.6
processor: 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I have done what you recommended - Permissions repair ir complete
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
An Verify Disk was also OK? If so go to the Apple logo to Software Update.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, doing that
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK after restart open Safari and if the problem persists, go to Safari / Reset Safari.