Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

I have a new laptop with a new itunes already downloaded.

Customer Question

I have a new laptop with a new itunes already downloaded. I want to sync but don't want all of my info erased. Do I need to bring my itunes over from my old computer?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 2 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Where are you syncing the itunes to? to an ipod/iphone/ipad?

If it is to an ipod, which ipod is it? nano/touch/classic/shuffle?

Which computer do you have? windows xp/vista/7?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To my iphone and I am using windows xp
Thank you for the info.

An iphone can only be synced with one computer at a time. So if you try to connect it to a different computer, the data in it (music, movies etc) will be lost.

So the better option is to transfer the itunes contents from the old computer to the new one. In your computer, you can find your itunes contents by going to Start > My Music > itunes > itunes media \

If all your files are inside the itunes media folder, just transfer the itunes media folder into a flash drive or external hard drive and paste it into the new computer's desktop. Then open itunes in the new computer, click on File menu at the top, File > Library > Add folder to library and select the folder.

Hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any difficulty.
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
I have one more info for you. If it is just the purchased songs you have in the phone, then just go ahead and connect the phone to the computer. A pop message may come up asking you whether to "Transfer Purchases" or "erase and sync". Click on Transfer Purchases and it should transfer the purchased contents from iphone back to the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can see the different folders for itunes music, mobile applications, previous itunes libraries, album artwork. so it seems like I should add all of those folders to my new ituens - correct? What about contacts - I don't see a folder for those - will those get erased?

We will try not to get it erased. Let's check whether we will get the option to backup the phone in the new computer.

Before that, are all contents in the phone (music, movies etc) bought from the itunes store?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. The main thing I am concerned about is the music and contacts. A lot of the music was downloaded from cds to itunes. I feel certain I can get that moved because I see it in the itunes music folder I can transfer as you mentioned above. Just worried about contacts. I don't want them erased from my phone

Ok.

We are not going to take any chances here. In your previous computer, open itunes and connect the iphone. To the left side of the itunes, you will have your iphone listed below "devices". Right click on the iphone name, and select the option "Backup". This will make sure your contacts and calendars are backed up.

Now open itunes in the new computer and connect the phone. If you get any message that the phone is synced with a different computer, just click on "cancel". Then, as we did earlier, right click on the iphone name and select "backup".
Let me know whether the data backs up successfully.
Let me know once you are done with the backup process
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I connect the phone to the new computer before or after I transfer the itunes folders you mentioned previously

You can transfer the contents first as I mentioned before. Then connect your phone and let me know.