Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I bought a Samsung M2 Portable external hard drive two weeks

I bought a Samsung M2 Portable external hard drive two weeks ago.
I use a MacBookPro and installed the M2 with Snow Leopard OS. Everything worked fine and I stored data on the M2.
Last week I updated the Snow Leopard OS to Lion OS.
M2 does not appear on screen anymore and I get always the following error message:
NTFS-3G could not mount/dev/disk4s1 at /Volume/SAMSUNG because the following problem occurred:
/Libary/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext failed to load - (libkernkext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). The MacFUSE file system is not available (71)

Can you please try to help getting the M2 at work?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It seems the drive is formatted for Windows (NTSF) is this drive supposed to be shared with a PC?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I already used the drive with Snow Leopard Mac OS system. I stored and downloaded data on the system.
Therefor the system must have be formatted for Mac.
I do not know what NTSF means.
But after I updated the Mac SL OS to the Mac Lion OS system I receive the NTSF3g error.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
NTSF is a Windows format. Open Disk Uitlity and select the drive on the left what does it say on the right next to Format?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Samsung disk does not appear on the screen.
Only my internal disk shows up.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Is it USB or FireWire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
USB
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go to the Apple Logo to About This Mac / More Info, select USB on the left do you see the device listed on the right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the device is listed
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Strange can you tell me exactly what is listed in Disk Uitlity or take a screenshot?

To take a sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder.

Or to take a selective sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and the number 4, you will see a little crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go, and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. Let me know when sent.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I get hold of Disk Utility?
Is that the same screen where I found the USB connection?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The same Disk Uitity I asked you to open earlier??? Maybe you did not really open it before???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK.
I made a screenshot.
Hope I got the right window.
Do I open your site now?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes, or you can attach it here if you see the toolbar.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't get the screenshot uploaded.

After I made the screenshot with number four, where can I retrieve the picture?
I cannot find it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Again, I made a screenhot, but I do not know how to upload in your site
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm getting lost.
I can get into the 'momandpop' site and used username and pw.
But I only see three files which have nothing to do with me.

I do not know how I have to upload my screenshot.

I tried to paste into this window but that does not work.
Where can I find this screenshot file?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You don‘t see Upload File??? Click on that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Of course I see the upload file button, but nothing happens. I tried it several times.
I'll try it again
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK if it won‘t work just list exactly what you see in the left column in the Disk Utility
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I want to upload I have to choose a file.
But again, I do not know where I can find the file of the screenshot which I made.
So, when I don't know where the file is loaded on my computer I can not upload it to you.

Pls help
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Look on the Desktop or in your Pictures folder, you already did it once????
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What happens with a screenshot normally?
Will it automatically become a picture-file?
I cannot find it in my pictures
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes it should be named Picture??.png. Why don‘t you just tell me exactly what is listed in Disk Utility
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it this you are looking for?

Capaciteit: 1 TB (1.000.194.400.256 bytes)
Verwisselbare media: Ja
Externe eenheid: Ja
BSD-naam: disk4
Productcode: 0x60c6
Fabrikantcode: 0x04e8 (Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.)
Versie: d.00
Serienummer: 00000000011E0D64
Snelheid: Maximaal 480 Mb/sec
Fabrikant: JMicron
Locatiecode: 0x24100000 / 3
Beschikbare stroom (mA): 500
Vereiste stroom (mA): 8
Type partitie-indeling: MBR (hoofdopstartrecord)
S.M.A.R.T.-status: Niet ondersteund
Volumes:
SAMSUNG:
Capaciteit: 1 TB (1.000.194.015.232 bytes)
Bestandssysteem: NTFS-3G
BSD-naam: disk4s1
Inhoud: Windows_NTFS
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I assume that means Format?

Inhoud: Windows_NTFS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Inhoud means : content
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What is Format? Bestandssysteem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bestandssysteem: NTFS-3G means format.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok if you are not planning on using this drive on a PC also I would reformat it for Mac choose Mac OS Extended (journaled) and Erase. You will lose whatever was on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can I save what I put under Snow Leopard on the disk?

Since you explained to me that NTFS refers to windows, I just checked the drive on my wife's computer with Windows.
Unbelievable, but the files can be found back on het computer, although I put them on the disk with Mac OS.
Maybe I take the files of in Windows first and than format in Mac.
Is that possible?

After there erasing with Mac OS Extended how do I format thereafter.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes copy them off on the PC then reformat on the Mac. Erasing will format also.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you,

I'll give it a try.

Rgds
Rob