Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I have 2No iPad2s which are locked showing connection to iTunes

I have 2No iPad2's which are locked showing connection to iTunes on their screens and am unable to clear them. The problem arose when I was updating them (one at a time) on my PC, using Microsoft XP, when the fault occurred.. I think the fault was 1602. My question is how do I clear the screens and what do I do to clear the problem which presumeably arises from my PC. As one is my wife's an early reply would be appreciated!!
Thanks
Tony Husband
Hi Tony,

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

What version of itunes do you have? To find that - open itunes, click on Help menu at the top (where it shows File, Edit, View, Controls .. Help)..click on Help > About iTunes. This will give you the version.

Also, are both the ipad's showing a usb cable and an itunes logo?

Thank You
Vinod
If the ipad is showing a usb cable and an itunes logo, you need to restore the ipad. Before restoring, make sure no third party devices are connected to the computer other than the mouse and the keyboard. That is, if any scanner or printer is connected, just disconnect those.

Then connect one of the ipads to the computer and open itunes. Then click on the ipad name listed to the left side of the itunes. Now, to the middle of the screen, you will see a restore button. Restore the ipad and finally select the option "restore from backup".

If you still get the error 1602, connect the ipad to a different usb port and try to restore.

If these steps don't work or if you get a different error code, let me know.

Click on accept only after the issue is resolved and you are satisfied..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have done as you said.

the only mention on the left hand side was under purchases and I clicked this but nothing happened at all except for the iTunes purchased to show.

What can I do next or is the connection wrong. I turned the iPad on first and then opened Tunes, should I have done it differently

Sorry for the delay replying I thought a new password XXXXX being sent before you could reply

I think the ipad is not recognized by the itunes. If it is recognized, you will see your ipad listed to the left side of the itunes, below "devices".

May I have the itunes version?
Click on help > about itunes. It will give you the version.

If your ipad is not recognized, try this - open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. Then on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see an apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec. The itunes may now recognize the ipad and give you a message that the ipad is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. Restore the ipad and finally select the option "restore from backup"

Let me know if this does not work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It didn't seem to work but how long is it likely to take forit to recognise, I waited about 3o secs but is it likely to take longer than that?
It should recognize within 10-15 sec.

It may be an itunes issue as well. May I have the itunes version? Click on Help menu at the top, Help > About itunes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

iTunes version is 10.3.1.55 and it also states a new version of 10.4 is available

Would it pay to download 10,4 or would this create a worse situation

connect the ipad to different usb ports, preferably to the back of the computer (if you have one there).

If that does not help and if both the ipads are not recognized by the itunes, then I would suggest an uninstall and reinstall of itunes. It will not delete any files inside it, so you don't have to worry about your contents.

Go to the control panel and uninstall itunes, quicktime, apple software update, apple mobile device support, apple application support and bonjour. Then restart the computer and install itunes from

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Let me know once you have downloaded itunes
Did that help??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you suggest I reconnect the iPad and see what happens or go through the procedure start iTunes and then plug in the iPad holding the power and home buttons down until the apple logo appears etc..
Exactly...connect it to the computer. Press and hold the power button and home button together until you see the apple. The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec. The itunes may now recognize the ipad and ask you to restore. Restore the ipad and finally "restore from backup"