Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.

I am trying to empty a desktop on my MAC that I accidently

Customer Question

I am trying to empty a desktop on my MAC that I accidently started to copy 12,000 photos to. I rebooted the machine in the middle of the operation and now I have 10,000 files with the size of Zero KB and when I try to move them to trash, it is telling me that they are in use by another application. I have to click "continue" on every single file.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 5 years ago.

Dan - Master Tech :

Greetings, one method of deleting files in this situation is to use the Terminal window. The following method will allow you to delete files or folders:

Dan - Master Tech :
  1. Locate and open Terminal which is located in the Applications/Utilities folder.
Dan - Master Tech :

2. Type in the following command: sudo rm --f. Leave an extra space after the end of the above command, following the "R." To delete a folder, type in "sudo rm --rf " without the quotes.

Dan - Master Tech :

Drag and drop the appropriate file or folder onto the Terminal window and it should delete without further prompting.

Dan - Master Tech :

"sudo rm –f" for files or "sudo rm –rf" for folders (without the quotes) Dan