Networking101, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  A+, Security+, Network+, 20+ years in IT with Macs/PC's

I have a 5-yr old Macbook that I purchased refurbished. It

Customer Question

I have a 5-yr old Macbook that I purchased refurbished. It crashed last week and I installed a new hard disk. The problem is that the Start-Up disks they "found" for me at the store when I purchased it ( an Apple-authorized repair center,) are not the right ones! It originally came with Tiger, but my friend had a multi-use Snow Leopard that he put on it (don't have those disks either.) Can I just purchase Snow Leopard and skip over Tiger? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Networking101 replied 5 years ago.

Networking101 :

Hi and thanks for your question! You can definitely go out and buy Snow Leopard, just make sure, since you are installing it on a fresh drive, that you purchase the FULL VERSION of Snow Leopard and not the upgrade. The Upgrade will check to make sure you are already running Tiger...I'm suprised they gave you a set to start-up disks, since they are very computer specific, and very seldom run on any other machine other than the one it was made for!