Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products

airpot utility was unable to find any airport wireless devices.

airpot utility was unable to find any airport wireless devices. my airport wireless device is plugged in and working for other computers
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer. Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Rick :

Let me know when you are ready

Customer:

hello

Rick :

Are you on yuor Mac now?

Customer:

yes my wife has it open. i am typing on another computer

Rick :

Ok great.

Rick :

So, your WiFi network is working but the Mac will not connect?

Customer:

correct

Customer:

my pc is working fine

Rick :

And you've lost your WiFi network password?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it works on my computer but not the mac

Rick :

Ok, so you do know the password XXXXX it works on other devices?

Customer:

not sure as I never rekeyed the password XXXXX my computer and my wife tried to change it yesterday as she was connecting a printer that asks for the WEPkey and she could not figure it out....so she changed it all....going to Airport Utilities and edited the passwords. She thought she knew what the password XXXXX but it never worked again.

Rick :

Thank you for the clarification. What make/model is your router?

Customer:

airport extreme versions 5.5.3

Customer:

dual band 802.11 wi-fi

Rick :

Great, thank you. Can you connect the Mac to the Airport Extreme (AE) with an Ethernet cable please.

Customer:

going to look for one

Rick :

Sure

Rick :

It's much easier if you have one, then you can remain on-line while I assist you.

Customer:

is it needed for her computer or mine?

Rick :

Connect to the Mac or the computer that is currently off-line

Customer:

ok still looking for it

Customer:

the cable

Rick :

ok

Customer:

unable to find it

Customer:

plan b?

Rick :

Ok, you'll need to reset the AE. Here's a link with step by step instructions on how to setup the AE - http://tinyurl.com/6kcfefn

Rick :

Print the instructions out and then setup your AE. Bookmark this page so you can return if you have further Questions. I will reply.

Rick :

Did you understand those instructions?

Customer:

i just cut/paste the address and it does not go anywhere

Rick :

the tiny url link?

Customer:

correct. i tried google and bing searches

Rick :

you can just click on it and it will direct you to the website

Customer:

ok i got it

Rick :

To reset the AE, hold the reset button for 15 seconds (Do not unplug from power)

Customer:

ok will start the process now

Rick :

Ok, I'll be here.

Customer:

do we need the ethernet cable. if so we have to go buy one....

Rick :

no you should not

Customer:

ok

Customer:

after downloading the sofware, the base station options is blank/grey

Customer:

nothing to click

Rick :

Is this a PC?

Customer:

no it is a mac

Customer:

macpro

Customer:

with snow leopard

Rick :

What software were you referring to?

Customer:

i am typing now from a pc but my wife has the mac

Customer:

install AE

Rick :

you should be working on the Mac for this process

Customer:

we are

Rick :

Did you reboot the AE?

Customer:

she is working as I chat with you

Rick :

There should be no software to install

Customer:

how to do that...re-install or something else?

Customer:

we are following the instructions on the link:

Customer:

Next install the Airport software from the included CD. After installation, launch the Airport Utility application. This is located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a computer using Mac OS X, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows.

Rick :

You already have that on the MAc, disregard

Customer:

yes

Customer:

ok but the next step is not possible...base station gives not options to click----nothing works

Rick :

Did you reset it?

Customer:

what does reset mean? where do we do it

Rick :

On the back of the AE. Press and hold the reset button for 15 seconds

Customer:

ok

Rick :

After it resets, close the Airport Utility and Reopen. You should be able to connect wirelessly to the AE with the Mac now and setup the AE.

Rick :

Welcome back

Customer:

ok done. success thank you

Customer:

the 15 sec works and not the 5 sec as recommended in the guide

Rick :

It's all working?

Customer:

yes

Rick :

Fine business! Thank you!

Customer:

where do you get the WEP key?

Customer:

that our printer asks for?

Rick :

the WEP key is your password/passphrase

Customer:

is the wireless or computer password?

Customer:

is it....

Rick :

WEP key would be your Wireless Network password/phrase

Customer:

ok got it. thanks

Rick :

great

Customer:

bye

Rick :

take care

Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience: 7 + Years Supporting Apple Products