Networking101
Networking101, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  A+, Security+, Network+, 20+ years in IT with Macs/PC's
15871235

i have a hand me down ibook g4 that is locked how do i unlock

Customer Question

i have a hand me down ibook g4 that is locked how do i unlock it so that i can use it??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Networking101 replied 5 years ago.

Networking101 :

Hi and thanks for your question! Well, if it is locked down at the startup, without knowing the password XXXXX only way to get my it is resetting the password XXXXX the Operating System CD. Did they happen to give that to you??

Customer:

no not at all

Networking101 :

If they did, it a pretty simple procedure...

Use the Operating System Installer disc (of the same version),
Start up the computer,
nsert the disc
Restart.
As soon as you hear the bong sound, hold down C.
Once the Installer starts, select the menubar and a menu will give you access to reset the password

Customer:

they give me the dics

Networking101 :

OK without the discs the only thing we can do is to purchase a copy of Mac OS X and install that...this will bypass the password...if it happens to be the same version, you can reset the password XXXXX losing any information on the computer...

Customer:

where can i purchase this

Networking101 :

you can pick it up at Best Buy, or any computer electronics store...you can usually get your hands on it at Staples or Office Max also...I've even seen it in some of the larger Wal-marts...

Customer:

online they gave me a list of instructions to unlock it without a dics theres nothing like that we can do

Networking101 :

just look for a white box that has a big grey "X" on it...(it'll say Mac OS X)

Networking101 :

what have you already tried?

Customer:

they said to press the command and s button while booting up computer and wait for a black screen with white writting then to hit "-uw/" but the black screen with white text never came up there was other steps after that but i couldnt get pass the first one to try the others

Networking101 :

What you can try (some OS's lock you out of this now so again it depends on what version is running)

Reboot your Mac

• Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admin account (hitting Return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new Administrator account.

** When you login , it will be the new administrative account.

Networking101 :

heh heh..we are on the same wavelength..yeah, some version will not allow you to enter "terminal" mode...

Networking101 :

it only gives you a second ot two to do it, so make sure you hear the "chime" before hitting the Apple Command and the S key...

Customer:

k ima try

Networking101 :

OK!

Customer:

i tried three times and every time just brings me to the login page nothing else

Networking101 :

OK, it may be a version prior to OS X that allows for Terminal mode...it doesnt work on all machines, so it's not something you are doing wrong, just the machine wont accept it.....to make absolutely sure you can try and restart it and hold down the Apple Command key and keep pressing the "S" key every second or so...if you still end up at the login screen, then terminal mode is locked out also and you will ahve to resort to getting the install disc...

Customer:

k ima try again

Networking101 :

(fingers crossed!)

Customer:

still wait for the chime

Networking101 :

na, try it the whole time to be sure...

Customer:

kk

Customer:

nope not workin

Networking101 :

:(

Networking101 :

looks like the CD is our only solution then...

Customer:

yea thanks so much for your time have a great day