Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

My I-pod classic will not sync with my laptop and comes back

My I-pod classic will not sync with my laptop and comes back with the message "BRIAN'S IPO" cannot be synced. An unknow erroe occurred (-48)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi and thanks for using Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

Could you please tell me what version of itunes your computer currently has installed on it?

Customer:

Sorry but where will i find this information?

Omer Mushahwar :

Open itunes on your laptop with the ipod library
Then in itunes click on Help in the menu bar at the top
In the help menu click on about Itunes and it should tell you the version there

Customer:

i-tunes 9 (i think)

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok thanks for that

Omer Mushahwar :

can you please plug the ipod into your computer with itunes.

Please close itunes if it launches when you plug in your ipod

Then click start and click the my computer icon

Omer Mushahwar :

Then you should see a list of your drives on your laptop one of which should be your ipod

Omer Mushahwar :

Find your iPod’s drive letter (ie. G:)

Right-click on it and select Properties

Go to Tools Tab >Error-checking and select Check Now

This will run a diagnostic for errors on your Ipods hard drive and it may take a few minutes

Customer:

Yup doing this, it offers two tickable boxes

Omer Mushahwar :

check both and select start

Customer:

1)Automatically fix file systems , and 2) Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors , should i tick both and press start?

Omer Mushahwar :

Yes please do

Customer:

message saying "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows filr on the disk .These files can be accessed only by starting windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you re-start the computer"

Omer Mushahwar :

do you right click on the ipod hard drive or your computer hard drive? for the ipod hard drive you shouldnt get this message

Customer:

Definately right clicked on the Brian's IPO Hardrive symbol

Omer Mushahwar :

Is Itunes still open? The only other reason you would receive this message is if you have something accessing the Ipod hard drive

Omer Mushahwar :

make sure itunes is completely shutdown

Customer:

i-tunes is definately shut down , it calls my ipod - BRIAN'S IPO (E:)

Omer Mushahwar :

And you havent double clicked into the E drive so you dont have it open correct?

Customer:

nope just right clicked then followed your instructions.

Omer Mushahwar :

Sometimes even when itunes is closed the program is still running in the back ground one thing you can do to check is to open your task manager
To do this you can right click on your windows tool bar at the bottom of the screen and select task manager
Then click on the process tab
Look for a process named Itunes and right click on it and say end process tree this will insure that it is closed

Omer Mushahwar :

On a side note does your work computer have itunes on it?

Omer Mushahwar :

If the older laptop cannot get the ipod to do the error checking you could try running it while its plugged into your work computer

Customer:

Have shut down a couple of i-tunes processes in task manager (seems to be loads of stuff running even though nothing else is open)

Customer:

Work computer does not have I-tunes

Omer Mushahwar :

Yeah Itunes always keeps itself active in the background

Omer Mushahwar :

Once you shut them all down try to do the repair again

Omer Mushahwar :

If it still gives you the same message plug your ipod into your work computer

Omer Mushahwar :

Once it is recognized as a drive do the error checking there

Customer:

Tried earlier process and is checking now

Customer:

It says Phase 1

Customer:

Taking its time but seems to be still trying to check! (slowly!)

Customer:

Phase 2 now

Omer Mushahwar :

Yeah depending on the hard drive size and any issues it encounters it will go through and repair and fix what it can while scanning it.

Customer:

Says disk check complete clicked OK

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok did it say if it had any issues fixing it?

Customer:

Nothing just disk check complete then clicked OK

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok then it should have fixed any issues in the disk without problems

Omer Mushahwar :

Please try syncing your ipod now with your itunes library

Customer:

Does that man the disk on the I-pod

Omer Mushahwar :

Yes it checked and repaired any disk issues on the ipod please trying syncing your ipod with itunes to see if you are still getting the error message.

Customer:

Yup trying it!

Customer:

Message saying Some of the items in the iTunes library, incuding De Camino La Vereda were not copied to the ipod because they could not be found Total of 100+ problems

Customer:

Smae again for some 47 videos and then again for other songs have clicked proceed and it still seems to be trying to sync.

Customer:

Are these problems because they are some ripped off tracks etc?

Omer Mushahwar :

Can you play these files in itunes?

Customer:

I think i usually can but don't want to check just now in case i knacker the syncing !

Customer:

It says synching on 710 of 1602 tracks

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok the error message seems to indicate that some of the files are linked right in itunes so maybe they moved so itunes isnt pointing to the right place for the song or video files.

The fact that the sync is still going is very good news though :-)

Customer:

Absolutely :-)

Customer:

A wee question, when i asked about this problem last week i was quoted £30 to fix why does/has the price gone up?

Omer Mushahwar :

As far as pricing I dont know if I could give you the correct answer as the experts dont have anything to do with the question pricing we are just here to answer and help solve your problem.

You could ask the customer support though http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us using this link

Customer:

Seems to have synced ok apart from the problem with some songs, really appretiate your help and advice, will pay just now and leave glowing feedback!, is there any particular reason for this problem and will it likely happen again? Should i avoid ripped music ie not from itunes or a bought cd?

Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks it really just depends on how often you sync and how many rewrites the ipod hard drive goes through

Omer Mushahwar :

Hard drives can error any given time depending on how much writing and how old they are

Omer Mushahwar :

So not so much anything your doing just a way of life with hard drives in general

Omer Mushahwar :

As far as the missed songs just check out itunes to see if you find any with the ! you can then repoint them to where the files are by trying to play them itunes will ask you to find them

Omer Mushahwar :

Music files as long as they work in itunes would not affect your hard drive like this just has to do with rewrites and things like that

Customer:

Many thanks Omer! fingers crossed it will be ok now.

Customer:

Have a good weekend.

Omer Mushahwar :

You too

Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks for using Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

If we have solved your problem please click accept answer so we may close the question

Thanks again have a good one.

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis