Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

my imac will not stay asleep .

my imac will not stay asleep.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

Could you tell me what version of Mac OSX you are running ie 10.5 10 .6.x....

Customer:

10.6.8

Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks for that please give me one second to load up my mac 10.6.8

Customer:

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks for that

Omer Mushahwar :

Could you please go to your system preferences

Customer:

in now

Omer Mushahwar :

Click on Energy Saver

Omer Mushahwar :

Can you tell me is your wake on network access checked

Customer:

ok

Customer:

lost your replywont scrool

Omer Mushahwar :

Can you tell me what boxes are checked under energy saver?

Customer:

all but start automatic

Omer Mushahwar :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

Now do you have any programs thats require your computer to wake up with network is accessing it? (Most people dont)

Customer:

not that I am aware of

Omer Mushahwar :

Generally when the Imacs keep waking up its for one or two reasons, something on your network is waking the computer up

To solve that issue you can uncheck the wake on network access and hit apply and lock so that the setting sticks

The other issue that could be a cause would be if you have any widgets in your dashboard that reach out to the internet for updates that could be waking up your computer

Customer:

I will check my widgets, I have unchecked network access. how will I know if a widget is doing that?

Omer Mushahwar :

I would say try putting your machine to sleep and check if it wakes its self up

If it does try shutting down any widgets one at a time till you find if one of them is the issue.

So shut one widget down put it in sleep and then try if that doesnt fix it try the next one, and so on

Customer:

ok, I will try that if we have not fixed it yet. I believe network access might have been the problem as it has been chcked for some time.

Omer Mushahwar :

Please let me know should this not solve the problem and we can keep working on the solution.

Customer:

will do, is there anything I need to do in regards XXXXX XXXXX

Omer Mushahwar :

Well as soon as you feel this is solved please click accept answer so I can get paid for my time, also book mark this page so you can come back to it incase it isn't solved and we can continue working.

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

I switched the question to Q&A format so it wouldn't time out.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for using Just Answer.com

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I sut down all widgets except world clock and made no difference. Initialy the computer goes to sleep then in one second it wakes up.
Can you tell me the model of your iMac
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I locate the model information/
Click the apple in the toolbar and select about this Mac
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model is imac 10,1
Do you have any Bluetooth, wireless devices or USB hubs connected to the iMac?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, I have a wireless network connecting my modem to the computer plus myprinter and scanner is connected thru usb ports.
Go ahead and disconnect the printer and scanner and try sleep mode one more time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I unplugged both and it stayed asleep.
Try having one plugged in to figure out which device is keeping your iMac awake.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just did that and I think my printer is the problem. sleep works ok when my scanner is connected.
Yep the next thing to keep you computer awake would be a device like a printer.

Though if you turn it off you may be able to leave it connected and have the iMac go into sleep mode

I'm glad we could narrow this down for you to the problem.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask otherwise please click accept answer so we can close the question.