Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis

im trying to partition my macbook pro it says it cant partition

im trying to partition my macbook pro it says it cant partition the drive because files cant be move. and also says i need to format the drive but it not letting me format the drive in disk utilites what must i do.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 5 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi thanks for using Just

Could you please tell me what version of the MAC OSX you are using? IE 10.1 10.2 .... 10.6

Omer Mushahwar :

Also just so its clear you want to completely format this hard drive? Have you backed up all your files as re partitioning the drive will erase the information on it

Omer Mushahwar :

Please let me know when you are in the chat thanks

Omer Mushahwar :

Also can you tell me if your hard drive already has been partitioned once before this attempt to partition as it can affect the steps needed to solve this question.

To partition your startup disk, insert a Mac OS X install disc in your computer, and then restart the computer while holding down the c key. When you see the gray Apple logo, release the c key. Follow the instructions until you see a menu bar at the top of the screen, and then from the Utilities menu, select Disk Utility.

You have to use the disk utility on the OSX cd/dvd to do a reformating of the hard drive because if you are using the one in the applications folder it cannot reformat itself.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any more information
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

im using mac 10.6.8 i have back up my drive thru time machine but it wont let me partition the hard drive

Are you using Disk Utility off of the Installation CD not the one in the Operating system?
Basically instead of a simple reformat since reformating will cause you to lose your OSX
Go through the install steps below once done you should be working with a brand new install on the hard drive partitioned to your liking.

1. Insert your cool new Snow Leopard disk in your Mac and reboot.
  2. Once the system restarts into the installer, select your language and click Continue at the Install Mac OS X screen. The following screen will show the available partitions on your system.
  3. Before we select which drive to install Snow Leopard on, we'll select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. This is the part where we format the drive. From the list on the left, select your hard drive and click on the Partition tab. Partition the drive to your liking and make sure your primary has the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Mac OS Disk UtilityOnce you're all done, click Apply to partition your drive.

4. Once the partitioning magic is over, close Disk Utility. Back at the drive selection screen, you can click Customize to pick and chose some of the different components you wish to install. I personally like to disable the additional language support since I only use English, but you may have other language needs. Also, you can enable Quicktime 7 for legacy format support or Rosetta, a utility that translates Power-PC apps to Intel.
  5. Once you've selected your drive and tweaked your installation, click Install.
  6. The install can take about an hour
  7. When the installer is done doing it's thing and you hear the chime, click Done to restart into Snow Leopard

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it tell me my disk is corupted and needs repair
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My mac ruined my snow leapord disk trying to boot from the disk last night
When you say your disk I assume you mean the Snow leopard installation cd.

To be able to reformat you will need a copy of the snow leopard cd:

1) If your computer is still under warranty I believe you can take it into the Apple store and get a replace disk or have them format the drive

2) Do you happen to have a friend who may have a copy of the snow leopard installation disk? You could borrow theirs to run the reformatting process.

3) You can buy a snow leopard upgrade installation disk, since you already own the full version and the upgrade disk contains the full installation it is cheaper to purchase and will run you about $35

Here is a link to amazon or you could buy it at the apple store.

Unfortunately without the Installation disk you cannot reformat the hard drive.