Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I just bought a ttf font last week... used it to create a booklet

Customer Question

I just bought a ttf font last week... used it to create a booklet in InDesign CS 5.5, created a PDF file and sent it off to the client. Everything seemed fine until the client said the font wont print. Turns out it won't print off my computer either - not from the InDesign doc or the PDF doc. I've loaded the font everywhere, even in the InDesign fonts folder. Still no luck. How can I fix this quickly?

Jayme
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Can you send me the font? How did you create the PDF?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lippy Font

I've tried to attach the font to this message, but if this doesn't work, please send me your email address and I can send you the font as an email attachment.

I created the PDF as an exported file from InDesign.

Jayme
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just recieved an error message....
The image uploaded is of the wrong file type.
, Images must be of the type, jpg, jpeg, gif, png
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That’s OK I got it can you send me the InDesign file too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sure.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
PLeas let me know when done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The PDF is up... Margaritas 101. Pick a page and I'll send you the InDesign file for that page.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No I need the whole InDesign file please. The PDF does not help me.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Can I answer you tomorrow I was about to sign out.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am packaging the file now. This will take a little while. When will you be back in? I need a solution tomorrow morning.

J
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I will be onlne at 10 am CST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The folder is uploading now. Please review it immediately when you return. It is urgent.

Thanks,

Jayme
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I accidentally clicked the wrong button - answer accepted... but you haven't given me an answer as yet. how do I undo this?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I am looking at your file and you can always get your money back if not satisfied but I can't answer until tomorrow. Please answer ok, so I see your question in the morning at the top of my list. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I never got the InDesign file
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The file stalled upon upload. May have been too large. It is about 1.5G. I think it I should just upload one page from that file. OKwith you?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Currently uploading Page_7_Folder.zip. Dialog box says it will take 38 minutes. Not sure why so slow but it is what it is.

Jayme

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
File is up.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Got it. Printing now.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You realize that the graphics are not legal and still have the iStock watermark???
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It is definitely that font I have tried it with different versions of InDesign and same issue it will print without that font. I suggest rather than wasting any more time you get the full background graphics from iStock and then in Photoshop lay that copy over and save that as image then it will print.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Funny... yes, I realize those are FPO (for position only) graphics with watermarks. We buy them after the client has approved them. It's trade practice. And your answer doesn't help since there will be many revisions before approval and the client needs to print out PDF rough drafts and pass around copies to all involved approval process - nothing is placed in stone until final approval. Those FPO graphics will surey change out several times before the piece is approved to print.

I had already tried the font with different versions of InDesign and knew it wouldn't print. I also know that it will print from Illustrator and Photoshop. But If I had known that was all you were going to do to solve my problem, I would not have invested so much time and effort here. Very disappointed. I still have a huge problem to solve.

Jayme
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
By the way, I would like a refund. Please advise.

Jayme
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
There is a problem with the font, sorry... you can try a different one or complain to the company you bough it from. Not sure what you expect I don‘t have a magic wand. You will have to lay them over the FPO graphics in PS. Why does the client have to print it, can‘t they proof from the PDF?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Some clients like to do mark-ups with pen. Others know how to do mark-ups in Acrobat, which would be ideal in this situation, but top management personnel tend not to be very techy.

I have complained to My Fonts - which is where I bought the font but I haven't heard back from them, nor do they give out phone contact information. But it's hard for me to believe they would sell me a bad font... for $50.

Some support people know tricks to get around problems such as this. Was hoping for this from you. I already knew that it wouldn't print from any version of InDesign. I also know I can create outlines to make it print but this makes my file huge and also creates a 50MB PDF file. Too large to email.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You can create a low res PDF that will go through email but of course you should be using an FTP or other service to send large files to your clients. I spent over an hour going over the files and I have been in publishing for over 20 years there is no workaround that I know of.... sorry. They may be able to supply you with an OTF version.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The 50MB PDF file is at the lowest resolution. Like I said, the outlines create a huge file, especially with as many graphics as I have embedded in the 22 page doc. I could FTP the file, but then I would have to explain why the file is so large that it can't be emailed and that's going to raise a red flag. Better to get this resolved than to concern the client with this issue.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you have Acrobat Pro? To make a file that looks good it to the client it will be large for a document that is graphics heavy there is no way around it... outlines really have nothing to do with it. I never email proofs. THAT would be a red flag to my clients.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I use Acrobat Pro.

True, a low res proof doesn't look very nice but some clients like the ease of working with small files. They say their computers don't have the memory neccessary to work with large graphic files. Their choice. Not mine.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK then you can easily reduce the file with Acrobat Pro
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did that already. Couldn't be reduced from 50MB.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I’ll bet it can but that is not your question anyway do you want to send it to me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I've done it many times before. I know how to do it. Usually works well. Not in this case.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK then I guess we are done good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please refund my payment.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I only answer questions. Why did you let me keep going if did not intend to pay? You should have closed the question. I think that is just rude.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I have been looking into this and you shoul tell the My Fonts people that the error is invalidfont
OFFENDING COMMAND: xshow