Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Mac trouble

HHi..I'm having trouble with my Mac..personal..my own....not networked...I'm running OsX, Version 10.5.8 and I think I have what may be a virus...tried to run my DiskWarior and it's no longer compatible....everything, especially Firefox seems to be running slower than usual and some apps don't work correctly (i.e. in Photoshop, the "Crop" command doesn't work..I have to copy and paste a section of my work into a new PS document....when I'm online, sometimes a black outlined "box" appears over various small sections of the window..and on the left side bar which shows all the apps, right below the trash there is a blinking arrow..do any of these sound like something specific to you?...how to fix?
ALSO...forgot...under the Apple menu, under the "Sleep" command, all other commands are duplicated, i.e. "restart" appears twice, as does "shut down" and "log out".
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on any blank spot on the desktop, then hold Command (the key just to the left of the Spacebar) and Shift keys and hit the letter U, this will open the Utilities folder inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version 10.5.8
Trying to verify but disk is spinning...has been for a minute or so now
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK...have to head out now so I'm going to shut down and try you back later on...meanwhile, I'll "agree" on justanswer,com so you get paid for your time to now..thanks and hope to conect later.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Back home...checked and the message after verifying disk said "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK."...just checked on "Repair Permissions" which I assume will take a while...after that finishes, should I just reboot?...should that take care of what's going on?...thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Don‘t know yet restart and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok...permissions have been repaired...will restart now...thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK...on restart, things looked ok...no duplicates of commands under apple menu...then suddenly, the duplicates appeared again...does this sound like a virus?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No there are literally no viruses for Mac, I would reinstall your system:

Put the current operating system disk (the one that came with your Mac unless you have upgraded) in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair if Repair completes then Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install choosing the option to Archive and Install if you don't have that option just install. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK...will try that now.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I have to sign off for tonight you can get me tomorrow after 10 am CST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good morning...sorry to bother you again but I ran everything you suggested (remissions, etc) and then reinstalled the system overnigh and did software updates, as suggested...I still have duplicate commands in the Apple menu so something is still funky...any other ideas?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Are they all duplicating or just some?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and Execute. Restart.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No...just some are duplicating..restart, shut down and log out...will do the Maintenance on the site you sent.FYI, just rememberd that 3 or 4 years ago I had a Spector software version on the Mac...expired a couple of years ago so I haven't used it since then but could the fact that it's still installed make a problem?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Not sure lets try this first
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All screwed up now..I went to print out your answer and it's not recognizing any of my printers
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You have to resetup your printers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go to System Preferences / Print and Fax and hit the plus sign you should see the list then just selcet and Add.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that...when I get to "select a driver to use", it doesn't take me farther from there..it gives me a list...my printer isn't listed on it...and that's it...won't let me do an auto select
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What model printer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HP Officejet Pro 8500...other HP Officejet models are on the list but not this one
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure what you mena..I'm at that site..clicked on OSX but not sure what to download from there
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Click on Driver and then

» HP Officejet Pro Full feature Software and Drivers - Mac OS X v10.6
2009-09-14 , Version:10.3, 127.47M
This download includes the HP print driver, HP Utility and, if applicable for your device, the HP Scan software and HP fax driver.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm runnniing OSX version 10.5.8...it's ok to download the OSX 6 as mentioned above?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK..I accepted your answer so you could get paid (I have an annual membership here)..but I'm having trouble still..if you could continue to help, I'd apreciate it...I tried to download the printer stuff you suggested 3 times...each time it "failed to mount" and "wasn't recognized by a program"....not sure if it's b/c the name of the file is so long...but I'm getting frustrated b/c I don't have a clue what's going on..if we can work this through some time today, I do tip well...but if you don't know what's happening, I'm not sure where to go with this next...any ideas?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I thought you were 10.6 :

HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver (Universal) - Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5
2009-01-19 , Version:12.0.0, 168.73M
This is a Full Feature Software/Driver solution intended for Macintosh users with their HP-all-in-One device.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This wouldn't download for me....I got the "failed to mount" reply and the other one I mentioned above
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Did you try the second one?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes..it wouldn't download :(
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I suggest you backup what you can erase your drive and reinstall your system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok..but I did that last nite..that's why the printer didn't show up...sorry this has turned into something more complicated
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No you reinstalled over your system you did not erase the drive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ahhh...OK, I understand the difference....OK, I will do that later today and let you know if it doesn't work (unless you've changed your name and quit justanswer after having to deal with me! :))
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Of course you have to backup your files this will erase everything.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
understood...thanks...may be in touch with you later or tomorrow