Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

How do I extend my E4200 wireless network using Airport Ex

Customer Question

How do I extend my E4200 wireless network using Airport Expree?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Using the Airport Utility have your AE join your current network and then allow it to have wireless clients also.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it ask for the airport base station
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
That is just their terminology choose your wireless network
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it does't work, the network is not extended wirelessly. I tried that before.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You have to give me more info than that. It doesn’t work does not tell me anything. What did you do excatly and how do you know it is not working
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did what you suggested, but the range of the wireless network is not extended at all. Another words, the range of my network is the same as before, even though I plug in the Airport Express at a place where it can receive the base station signal and hoping that it will extend that signal further.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately since you don’t have an Apple base station you will have to do it all manually if you want to add it as a WDS remote or relay, which means you also have to set it up correctly on the E4200 to be extended.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes that is what I am asking, how do I do that?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I would need the manual do you have it? Is it new?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it is.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Can you send me the manual, if it is new it may be easier to contact them?

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
uploaded.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You will have to give me some time I am unfamilair witht the device
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the problem I am facing is how to get airport express to recognize the base station, in this case E4200. The rest I know how to do.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
If it is already broadcasting and working all you need to do is this (see picture), then choose your network below that and put in the passord:

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it responded with 'that network can not be extended' I tired that before.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Sorry that option may only work on Apple devices with 802.11n, have it join the network instead.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well what happens it won‘t even join it or what?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if join the network the airport express does not broadcast, ie. not as a repeater/access point. In addition, if participate in the WDS then it does not recognize the base station. We are just running around in circles.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
When you join a network it will not show up as another network so how do you know it is not extending it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I said before, the range is not extended, because I get no signal in the places that I need. The range is the same as before.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK sorry but I was looking at the manual and you said “the problem I am facing is how to get airport express to recognize the base station, in this case E4200. The rest I know how to do.“ It obviously is recognizing it so do you know how to do that or not?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO, the correct way is to participate in the WDS, but when I do that it does not recognize the base station. In the other settings like joining the network it does recognize the base station but doesn't broadcast. That is why I said I don't know how to get the Airport to recognize the base station (in WDS mode).
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Is the 4200 set up for WDS, you have to enter the MAC addres of the AE in the settings if you let me look at the manual I can figure it out, can you be patient? If not Linksys has 24 hour support:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E4200?searchques=wds
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is, I have also enter the MAC address but the problem is on AE side I think.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK select the WDS tab and make it a WDS Remote:

graphic

Then check Allow Wirelss Clients and put in the MAC address of the Linksys:

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I did that and after the update the AE returns error, and that error is NO BASE STATION recognized.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Then you have to choose the Wireless tab and put that info in then update
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did all that, it doesn't work.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK I give up is there a reason you didn‘t but an Apple router they work together much easier. I‘ll opt out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I bought the E4200 router first and realized that the range doesn't cover my house so got an AE and tried to extend it. I have found some answers on the web but they all assume that the base station can be recognized.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK but “doesn‘t work“ will not help any other experts please give more detailed info. I forgot to mention that whatever device you are trying to connect to it is not going to automatically figure out that the AE is there restart the device it may be working fine. I had another customer with that problem and he restarted his laptop in the area he wanted to use it and Voila!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have given you all the errors that it returns. I have restarted all devices and it doesn't work. Apples saids that AE does not work with non-apple base stations but I know there is a work around.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Of course it does who told you that? Anyway I opted out.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

I see your communication between my fellow expert. I've read them and confused. So lets start from scratch. Quick question. Do you simply want to extend the Network of your E4200 using Airport Express ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes that is what I was trying to do. Just to be precise, extending the wireless network wirelessly.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You can't extend the E4200 with Apple Airport Wirelessly. The Apple Airport only "extend" a network that has been created by another Apple Airport.You cannot extend the wireless network created by another manufacturers' products like Netgear, Belkin etc. There may be many tricks to extend the network, but it might not work properly. However you can extend the Wireless Network by connecting an ethernet cable from your E4200 to Airport Express. Let me know what you think...

Only click Accept after we solved the problem.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know how to do that with the ethernet cable but what I really want is to extend it wirelessly.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Last time i tried it i couldn't do it. I will try it again and let you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, i've tried it and can't get it to work..It seems like you can't extend it wirelessly. Sorry...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I swear I've done this before but he may be right. This might work different router but it may work with the new firmware:
http://vafer.org/blog/20050325123121/
http://sveasoft.com/