Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hello, I have a MacBook(not old) and was wondering if I should

I have a MacBook(not old) and was wondering if I should be concerned about a few glitches. I have been getting the spinning ball more( then I force quit) and my computer stalled while shutting off a few times. Mostly it acts normal but I also had a weird screen pixel effect. Should I be concerned? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on any blank spot on the desktop, then hold Command (the key just to the left of the Spacebar) and Shift keys and hit the letter U, this will open the Utilities folder inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I verified and repaired permissions like you said and it went quickly. My system is OS 10.6.5, processor 2.53 Intel Cpre 2 Duo and 4 GB hard Drive. I also downloaded the Cocktail program to clean up my mac sometimes. just wanted to see if I should be concerned bc I don't have applecare. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK now go to the Apple Logo to Software Update you are way behind.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It seems like the update will use alot of memory, 1 GB I think. If this is necessary I will do it.