Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

when I look at a photo in library, how can I tell which album

when I look at a photo in library, how can I tell which album it is in, or indeed if it is in an album at all? I duplicate effort putting photos into albums only to find I've already done it, but I couldn't be certain I have. Also if i put a photo into multiple albums i can't remember which albums I've put it in.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
There is really no way to do that in iPhoto, how many albumsdo you have? this might help:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. Well that's weird, isn't it? It seems an obvious requirement. In Photoshop if you hover over the photo it tells you which album(s) it is in, why can't iphoto do the same, I wonder? Does Apple see this a need? Do other people have the problem I do?
(by the way, thanks for the weblink, I checked it out but I don't want multiple libraries so not useful to me)
I'd be grateful for your comments on my questions above.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Photoshop does not have albums?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes Photoshop has albums.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean Photoshop Elements they are two different programs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Apologies for imprecision, yes I meant Photoshop Elements has albums. And you can always check which album(s) a photo us in by hovering over it. Do you have any idea why iPhoto doesn't have a similar useful feature?

Thanks for engaging in this conversation... I know you didn't write iPhoto! Any help or comments gratefully received.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I’m afraid not I assume most users don‘t need it, I don‘t, I can always delete albums they are non destructive. What is the problem exactly there may be other ways to do it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem for me, being a tad disorganised, is that I stumble across couple of photos, say of a particular child, and I cannot tell if I have or have not put them in that child's album, so I do it again to be on the safe side, which is a waste of effort. I could look in the album first, but there are so many similar photos in there that it will take me time to work out if the couple I am looking at are in there or not.

Or perhaps I also have a more general album, say "family parties", and I want to check if a particular batch of a child's photos are also in that album as well as the child's own album, so I have to go checking that album too and as it is a very big album it takes ages to check. So the ability to look at a photo and tell instantly which albums it is in would be invaluable.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Albums do not “save” photos they are just a way of organizing you could delete the photo from ALL albums and it still remains in your Photos library. You could use Faces and Smart albums and that would do the work for you. Or you can add a keyword to the photos and search that way.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes all that is useful, but I still think that I should be able to look at a photo and be able to see all the albums it is assigned to, without having to search all the albums to find out.

Any, enough! I'll accept the answer next time you reply and you'll get paid!

Many thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK sorry if I find another solution I’ll let you know.