Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have MacBook with OX 10.6.7 (Hardware Overview Model

Customer Question

I have MacBook with OX 10.6.7 (Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.4f12
Serial Number (system): 4H63502TWBV
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F22D2685
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Two major problems:

1 Slow -- often apps will have spinning wheel (safari and mail, Word)
Using the Install Disc to startup I have used disk utilities -- HD is OK repaired all permissions.

2 Am now getting a message 'Startup disk full' --- don't know what to do with that.
I do have 5000 images on iPhoto. When I tried to update to the current iPhoto - was told 'startup disk full ----

Derek
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on any blank spot on the desktop, then hold Command (the key just to the left of the Spacebar) and Shift keys and hit the letter U, this will open the Utilities folder inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mac OS 10.6.7
Processor 2 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I did the repair disk section again (I had done it previously using the OS Snow leopard installation disk as startup

All the topics - verify disc and verify/repair permissions were OK
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Open Macintosh HD and tell me how much space is Available at the bottom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
12.5 GB

(I do have about 5000 pictures on iPhoto
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is not much you should transfer your iPhotot Library to an external drive. First quit iPhoto, hold down the Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. Check all the boxes and run Rebuild. Then go to Pictures and drag your iPhoto Library to an external drive, double click it to make it the default library if all is OK you can delete the library in Pictures
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have my external drive with me (I'm on vacation) Do you think all problem with slowness is related to large volume of photos?

Are there any other large memory usages I should be looking for?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No it is because you have so little drive space available, you can trash or move anything to fix that. Then run Softeware Update under the Apple logo.