Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi I have a new iPad. On arrival it connected with my home

Customer Question

I have a new iPad. On arrival it connected with my home wireless network OK and I used the internet and received emails no problem. I also downloaded some apps.
I took it out of the house for a couple of days, and on my return it won't reconnect to the network.
I have done the following:
1 General/network/wifi which recognises the network Belkin 54g and a wifi symbol appears in the top left of the screen, but it doesn't connect.
2 I have checked the settings and the IP address starts with 169.254 which tells me that the iPad has not received a IP address from the ISP.
3 my 2 PCs and my iPhone are receiving the signal OK as normal, so the router is working fine.
Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Turn the iPad completey off not just to sleep and then turn back on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry but I tried that. I also tried rebooting the router. I didn't mention it because it seemed obvious. I tried them in reverse order as well just in case. I have checked the router through my PC and it is giving all the right numbers.

What I don't understand is how the iPad worked and then stopped working.

It worked at home as I said, but then worked in two hotels and an apartment with wifi. It was only when I got home that it refused to cooperate.

Have you come across this before? I have visited a discussion forum for iPads and there seem to be others with the same problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Turn off WiFi on the iPad then turn it back on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Already tried. I have tried it again but still no dice.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go to Settings / WiFI and click on the arrow to the right of your network then select Forget this Network. Then select the Network again and put in the password.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tried that again but still nothing.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What model router do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

As mentioned in the original question I have a Belkin 54g

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Do you know how to get into the setting sof the router? I suspect access rules it could be a MAC address filter look for the settings in the ACCESS RULES section of the GUI and desable them, if you don't have access to the router's GUI you should reset it to factory default than go to the setup according to the router's manual...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There are no filters or blocks set in the access control section. The list is blank.

Where next?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes I suggest you get e new router the iPad can do 802.11n and your old router is only at 802.11g, that router seems to have problems with the iPad, you will connect much faster too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The existing router worked fine for the first two days with the iPad, so I'm in no hurry to replace it until I understand why this has happened.

What else can we try?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I’m out of ideas. I’ll opt out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think I'll try Apple

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.