Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

Cant send mail from my Mac using Yahoo. I can receive mail

Customer Question

Can't send mail from my Mac using Yahoo. I can receive mail but can't send. Do I need to change the Port SSL number??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

When was the last time you were able to get Yahoo running through Mac Mail?

Do you have the free Yahoo email service or paid for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a paid subscription. $20 a year for commercial free service.
It was June 28th that everything stalled. I can now get mail but can't send it out.
Thank you for the update.

May I remote into your computer and resolve this problem for you?

Once you respond, I will send a remote link that will only be good for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have never used this service and feel a little uncomfortable letting you in. Is it possible to give me step by step instructions instead?
I can understand your anxiety about that.

I have remoted into hundreds of computers; you should not feel uncomfortable at all.

The remote session should only take about 10 minutes. You will see everything that I am doing and can end it at any point. I will not 'snoop' around or change anything.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay
Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=ac6eeb32-ae0d-4ec1-870b-2f452be73a73&SUPPORT=OSX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The link doesn't work. What do I do now?
Ok, sorry about that.

I created another session.

Please, click the following link and let me know if any errors occur: http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=99404544-ccc0-4746-867e-ff659129454a&SUPPORT=OSX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still won't launch. Do I need to do something on my end.
You have to click the new link and allow it to run.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did click the link. It opens a dialog box to accept the terms, I accept, then it opens a MAC dialog box that asks for me to ALLOW, I allow then it says it won't open that file.
Ok, lets try this a different way.

Pull up the Yahoo account settings on Mac Mail and verify the information below:
Incoming Mail (POP3) Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 995)
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication)

Your account / login ID is your Yahoo ID (what comes before the @ sign in your email address)

Email Address: Your full Yahoo Address
Password: Your Yahoo Mail password

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I made those changes earlier before I contacted you. I will try again. But how do I access the dialog box for outgoing option to change the port number? I can get to incoming by hitting "advanced". Where do I click to get to "outgoing"
Click the pull down menu for Outgoing servers and click the 'Edit...." link.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that too before. It still isn't working. When I send test email it opens a selection of servers to use. What is the (offline) notation on some of them? I select the smtp.mail.yahoo.com but it still wont send. I'm getting so frustrated that I'm ready to give up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It still isn't working. When I send test email it opens a selection of servers to use. What is the (offline) notation on some of them? I select the smtp.mail.yahoo.com but it still wont send. I'm getting so frustrated that I'm ready to give up.
This is why I always suggest that everyone only use the webmail portion of the email account. The webmail portion always works, is always backed up, and is more secure.

You can access your email account at: http://mail.yahoo.com
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It had been working fine forever. It was when there was a "pop." notation in front of everything. I just don't understand how something can change that quickly. Did Yahoo reset something on their end? I really need to "speak" with someone about this to end this frustration. Is there any numbers I can call to speak to someone? Here or at Yahoo????
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So it still doesn't work. Is it a Mac thing or a Yahoo thing.

Now I've spent the money and time working with you and still don't have an answer.

Can I get a credit now?
- If you prefer to speak with someone, you can call 408 349 1572