Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Purchased an MX870 a year ago to go with my iMAC 24 Hardware

Customer Question

Purchased an MX870 a year ago to go with my iMAC 24"
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM61.0093.B07
Plugged it in - worked tickety-boo until a few days ago when I updated my MAC OS to 10.6.8.
Printer no longer works.
When I request a print job, the print dialogue box from whatever program I'm working in shows identifies the Canon as the default printer, and the printer icon immediately shows up at the bottom of my screen, but doesn't print. When I open the printer icon, this is what I see: "Printer Ready" - with the printer icon visible, and then a list of the documents it hasn't printed since updating the OS software. The Status column reads: Error: /System/Library/Pri... I down-loaded what I thought was the updated driver for the MX8870/10.6.8 combination from your website, but I've either done it incorrectly or something else is amiss as nothing will print for me.

Thanks for your help with this. I can be reached by 'phone at: XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Michael Grice
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

We can try to reset the Printing system, it will restore the printing settings to default.

1. Goto System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.
  2. Open Print & Fax ( you can also open Print & Fax from the View menu)
  3. Control-click (Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu.graphic
  4. The Printer may be disappear from list, so add it back.

Let me know if that didn't worked...Only click Accept after it worked.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, did 1, 2 & 3 above, but when I clicked on the printer icon on the left side of the window, it said "Idle, Default" and "Reset printing system" does not appear anywhere in the dialogue box.
Michael

Also, when I hit 'View Full Image', a smaller dialogue box opened but has frozen and will not go away.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Right click (control + click) on the Printer icon.

That is the image i sent you for reference.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, i'm there now - sorry for not 'getting' it more quickly - I seldom use the 'right click' option when on my MAC.
Clicked on 'Reset" - printer has disappeared. Clicked the + button and received three options:
Canon MX870 series - scanner
Canon MX870 series - USB
Canon MX870 series FAX - USB

My unit is the all-in-one (printer, copier, fax, photocard)

Which do I choose.

BTW, when I turn the printer on, it defaults to the 'Copy' function (there doesn't appear to be a 'Print' button on the unit - I don't recall it doing that before. Might that be part of the issue?

Michael
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Select this one : Canon MX870 series - USB

Not sure, try it and let me know if that didn't worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's what I thought, too, but won't let me select it - gives me an error message: An error occurred while trying to add the selected printer. Error: - 9672

Is there not any way we can do this by 'phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Thanks,

Michael
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, JustAnswer won't allow us to communicate via Phone. Disconnect the Printer from your Mac for 20 Minutes. Also, unplug the power cable too from your Printer. Then try again..Connect your Printer to different USB Port. Let me know if that didn't worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like we're 'scrambling' a little here, no?

And, if I unplug both the printer and the computer for 20 minutes, won't I also lose you on a re-boot?

M.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No! Leaving it unplugged for 20 minutes will reset the Printer. And you don't have to turn off your Mac. Add a bookmark of this page, so we won't lose our connection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took the printer USB cable out of the multi-USB hub where it was plugged (since originally purchasing the unit) and put it into the MAC directly. Tried to print - still nothing. Went to 'Print & Fax' - printer no longer there, tried to add it but got the same error message as before. Went to 'More Printers' - the MX 870 isn't even listed as an option. List shows 850 & 860, but no 870. That seems to me to be a little weird if I've installed the latest OS for the MAC, no? Please let me know what you think of that, then I'll power down both the printer and the MAC. And I've 'bookmarked' you.

Thanks,

Michael
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Your Mac isn't recognizing your Printer. I want you try different USB Cable if you have any. Also, power it down for 20 minutes and that will reset the Printer. Let me know if that didn't worked..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, printer is powered down - will do the same with the MAC as soon as I send this to you. Don't have an extra USB cable immediately to hand - will use the 20minutes to try to locate another one. (Am using the cable that came with the printer - don't know why it would suddenly not work.

Signing off - will chat again in about 20-30 minutes.

Thanks,

Michael
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
This will also happens if the USB Cable is damaged/fried. I will be available here for next 6 hours. So no hurry...

Good Luck with that..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, powered everything down/unplugged for the 20 minutes. Booted all back up - exactly the same things have happened. Received same error message when I tried to load the MX870 - USB option listed. Clicked on the MX870 - Scanner option, but it brought up an obviously scanner icon, not a printer so I de-selected it.

Can't find another USB cable anywhere so I don't know what to do now. (Do those cables just suddenly die without reason? Really, the only thing I did was update the OS - didn't touch any cables/hardware, anything - I promise!)

Michael - very frustrated, but also now, very nervous that this is going to involve a bunch of money and it shouldn't 'cause the printer is only a year old.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..Yes, USB cable (sometimes) will die without any reason. We can reinstall your drivers and see if that works or not. Download drivers from here : http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0100002534/04/mcpd-mac-mx870-10_42_1-ea8_2.dmg

Install it and restart your Mac. Then try to add the Printer.

PS : If the printer is less than 1 year old, then its under Warranty.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I went the Canon website a few minutes ago and started a download for MX870 printers for MAC 10.6. OS. Dialogue box tells me the download is 307.0mb.

Went to the page you indicated, dialogue box tells me the download is 9.0mb.

Huh?

I'm confused.

M

And the cable isn't USB, it's USB into the MAC, but is one of the small 'square' plugs (sorry, don't know the name!) on the printer end. I know for sure I don't have any of those kicking around.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
That is the USB Cable. Download is only 9 MB. Download the 9.MB file and install it. Does that worked ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Installed the software - machine told me it was successful - am now re-booting as per your instructions (although the software download didn't say I needed to, but I trust you more.)

Back later,

Michael
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Good Luck Michael..

BTW, forgot to ask. Can you do copies from your Printer itself ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, I checked earlier - the copy and scan functions both appear to be working just fine. Only the 'printer' option was messing up.

But, you genius you, I just re-booted the MAC, the printer showed up in the Preferences, I selected it as 'default', closed the windows and printed a document! Not pretty, 'cause I need some new colour cartridges, but it printed and is readable.

I think you've solved the problem - many thanks! I'll now hit the 'Accept answer' button so you folks will be paid.

What's the name of your Boss? Tell her/him that I think you deserve a raise!!!!

Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I really do appreciate the help.

Michael
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Great ! Glad you got it worked...Boss is XXXX XXXXXXX. Let me know if you have any problem and i'm always ready to help you !

Thanks for Accepting my answer, tip and the Positive Feedback.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Have a great day,