Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

my laptop has a white screen and won't allow login

it won't let me re-load mac software
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you still there??
Yes, i didn't answer for my question. Question : What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
leopard version
10.6
Okay..We can try some troubleshooting steps and see that works or not..

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked...Only click Accept after it worked.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ive tried all options and no success. However, I have got the Mac OS X disc in the disc drive and I cant eject it. methods above lead to disc starting up and..
The installer menu comes up
A message says "this software cannot be installed on this computer" and restart or startup disc
Are those discs are Snow Leopard version ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i thought they were when i put them in but there is a small chance that they are the original discs. Obviously, as I cant eject it i cant check?
Eject it and check the version number. It must 10.6 Snow Leopard disc. Follow the steps below to Force Eject the disc.

• Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the left mouse button. This may take some time, but keep it held down until the disk ejects
  • Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the eject key on your keyboard. Keep it held down until the disk ejects

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
got it out and its version 10.4.4?!
Should i try the trouble shoot 1st pass again?
That disc won't work...don't you have the 10.6 Snow Leopard discs ?

Yes, try the troubleshooting again..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ive now re-tried all options with no success
ive found the snow leapord discs- shall re load?
Yes, and that will work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i hope so!!
Keep me updated..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ive inserted the disc and its making a hissing noise but not doing much more?
Turn off your Mac for 10 minutes and then try again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried again, nothing. Back to where we started??
No.Eject the disc and clean it. Then put it back.. Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ive tried again and nothing
Put it and wait 30 minutes and see if it loads or not...Also, do you have another Mac ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it made a couple of positive noises and then nothing
Let it sit there for 20 minutes and let me know. Also, do you have another Mac ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will do.
Yes I'm communicating to you on my other one!
Can you try to boot to Snow Leopard disc from another Mac ? This will tell whether the problem is with your Mac or disc.

Add a bookmark of this page, so we won't lose our connection
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i think the problem is definitely with the computer. My stepson was playing a game on it and he said it suddenly jammed and turned to a white screen. he didn't tell my until later so I didn't see it immediately- i therefore have no way of knowing exactly what did happen?
i can now see any apple appearing on the other computer??!!
Its trying to boot into the disc. Let it boot up...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its booted up. couldnt find the disc to install to and suggested disc utilities. just did verfity and now it says it needs to be repaired? will do repair disc?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
invalid b tree node size
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it says disc utility cannot repair the disc?
Sounds like your hard disk is corrupted...Repair it again and again. Is it sill showing same error ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ill try again. its telling me to erase the disc and restore?
You probably have to erase it..did you backed up your files ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no but won't lose much as most on other computer! I'll erase??
Then erase it and reinstall. This problem happens if the partition of the hard drive is corrupted.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, its being erase as we speak. to re-install will it now allow that to happen? or do i have to do something first?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

After erasing, just quit Disk Utility and continue installation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, will let you know progress
Great !
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its asking me to select the disc where to install it and there is nothing listed?
Thats strange. Open Disk Utility and erase it as Mac OS X Journaled. Does that works ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hmmm, clicked on disc in list and its got the curser going round and round. at bottom of page says 119 gb capacity but a dash by available. when the thing stops, shall i shut down and restore or ?
Does it finished formatting ? If so, then try this. Reset the PRAM and NVRAM again and then boot into the Snow Leopard disc and see if the HD is available to reinstall.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i did turn it off so now waiting for the disc to boot up again. will wait and then switch off again and do pram thing
Great. If that didn't worked, then reset the SMC of your Mac : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
re set pram, still nothing in the installer.
back in disc utility. says 120gb capacity, read/write status, verified. cursor keeps spinning
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just hit verify disc and its telling me to repair the disc??
Open Disk Utility, select the Macintosh HD in left column, make sure you've selected main partition Macintosh HD. Click on Erase tab, select Mac OS X Journaled as format, click Erase button. Let me know once you did that...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just to check? is the 120.03 GB Hitachi HTs5...the same as the macintosh HD?
it has a sub folder disk0s2?
how do i know if this is main partition?
the only other thing in the list on lhs is HL-DT-DVDRW GSA.... which I assume is the snow leapard disc?
Hitachi is the main one, don't select disk0s2. Select the parent one and that is Macintosh HD

DVDRW is Snow Leopard disc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its erased, any issue if i did the disc 2 previously?
No, now close the Disk Utility and see if the HD is available in Destination screen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not currently
Can you restart and see if it appears there ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will do
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still nothing
I'm afraid i'm getting out of ideas. My last suggestion, boot into 10.4 Disc 1 and try to install it. Can you try that ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes will do. the computer was purchased with that version?
Yes, if the 10.4 discs are came with it. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i ejected disc there was a folder icon with a question mark in it??
That means it can't find the Mac OS X. Thats because you erased the drive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same as before--not possible to install
I give up. I think this is a hardware problem, probably your HD is failing. We have tried every troubleshooting steps so far. You have to take your Mac to the Apple Store to fix it. I'm sorry i couldn't solve your problem..

(Only click Accept if you are satisfied)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for your efforts...much appreciated
You're welcome !