Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have an iMac (acquired in early 08)... It has OS X.

Customer Question

I have an iMac (acquired in early '08)... It has OS X. I had to buy a new printer today (HP 2050) and have learned I must have OS 10.5 in order to get it running. I also know I can download that system... But I need your help (and don't wish to waste $49)!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
This is a pay per question website is that the $49 you do not want to pay?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Apparently you operate on a sub-contract basis. I will go ahead--because I need the help--DESPITE BEING TOLD BY APPLECARE THAT I could download 10,5--with your help--at no cost. I understand I do not have to unless--and until--I click on "accept".
I love my Mac--been a Mac guy for 25+ years--but this process leaves me wondering about the meaning of "support". Oh well: it's 2011, isn't it?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
This is not Apple.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Still need help?

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on any blank spot on the desktop, then hold Command (the key just to the left of the Spacebar) and Shift keys and hit the letter U, this will open the Utilities folder inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Forget it--I found a better, and vastly cheaper, way to solve my problem, after spening all of yesterday afternoon on this.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Good for you