Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

unable to access internet Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

unable to access internet Bad Request (Invalid Hostname) What to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
For all sites or just one? Try google.com.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
unable to get past bad request page
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go to Safari / Reset Safari
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how to reset ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did reset and nothing happened
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you have Firefox? If not try that:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
same result nothing :(
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am using my windows laptop now FYI
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on any blank spot on the desktop, then hold Command (the key just to the left of the Spacebar) and Shift keys and hit the letter U, this will open the Utilities folder inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it says volume passed verification but the repair disk is not lit up?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK Repair Permissions. How is the Mac connected to the internet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

COMCAST

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Wired , wirelsss?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WIRED

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please go to System Prefernces / Network select Ethernet and tell me what is listed under Advacnded TCP/IP
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
says built-in - Ethernet currently active and has the IP address 10.10.10.60. You are connected to the internet via built-in ethernet
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What about the rest? Is it set for DHCP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

two green dots one is built in ehternet

the other one is airport

no DHCP?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Make new location name it DHCP and change it to DHCP next to ipv4
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ip4?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I doubled clicked and the IPv4 popped up now what?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Change it to DHCP and restart after you made a new location.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dont understand what just happened but it looks like I owe you 38 bucks!What exactly was wrong? And how can I prevent it from happening again?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It looks like you had a static IP put in and it may have already been in use, DHCP uses your router to set that info.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help