Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My database was corrupted and now i dont know how to rebuild

Customer Question

My database was corrupted and now i don't know how to rebuild my personal folders
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What database are you referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I started outlook for Mac 2011, I got a message that the database was corrupted. I believe it is the Main Identity? I have time machine backups but can't figure out how to recreate te personal outlook folders
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you already rebuild the database?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried to rebuild the database and it was giving me errors so i copied from timecapsule the last backedup version
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But now I don't know how to extract/import my personal folders that were On My Computer in Outlook.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
How did you restore from backup?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
went to timecapsule and copied the "Main Identity" file to my computer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
maybe its all there but I don't know how to bring the offline folders back...sorry not sure I am explaining myself clearly. maybe i just need to follow some steps to show the "offline folders" that used to be under the "on my computer" heading
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Quit Outlook go to Documents / Microsoft User Data select that folder and go into the Time Machine back to where your folder were there and Restore but keep both then try Rebuilding the database again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did exactly this. Still don't have the content (archived emails and folders) under the "on my computer"
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Then you did not go back far enough before you lost them.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately yes. I have tried going back several months and still being able to recreate my personal folders in outlook. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you restoring the whole folder or just the identity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The whole folder. I understand that it's the data records folder that has all the email details
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No actually it is the identity. When did you start using Outlook? Were you previously using Entourage? Did your original installation transfer your data correctly? Who is your email provider?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been using outlook ie several months now. I did use entourage before outlook and the transfer of folders fro
Entourage to Outlook was seamless. My email is work email
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Is it on an Exchange server?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes exchange server
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That figures. You need to conatct your IT people they may be able to restore that for you. That is all on their servers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. The information I am looking for is in te offline folders. Nothing to do with the exchange server. The email on exchange are still there
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well in that case it looks like you may have lost them. You can try rebuilding the old identities but make sure you copy your Main identity to the desktop first. If you can get your folders back export them, then put your Main identity back and import the folders.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry that you are not getting paid at this time, unfortunately, my problem is not resolved. I have now solicited another IT person to help
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok good luck