Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Microsoft Word will not open, neither the program nor files,

Customer Question

Microsoft Word will not open, neither the program nor files, iPhoto is also affected. I re-installed both Applications and Mac OS X discs. How can it be fixed.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on any blank spot on the desktop, then hold Command (the key just to the left of the Spacebar) and Shift keys and hit the letter U, this will open the Utilities folder inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, I followed your suggestions. Answer 1: Mac OS X version 10.6.8 (Software Update)
Processor 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 duo. Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. I opened Disk Utility and Verify Disk. I installed original Mac OS Disk and Clicked on Repair Permissions. It went into repairing, saying 37 minutes but only took about 5 minutes. I then tried to open Word on my computer and it would not open, It said th "Microsoft Word cannot be Opened because of a Problem and then "Check with the developer that Microsoft Word works with this Mac Os X. Be sure to install any updates. This report will be sent to Mac automatically. I have not installed any updates but did so two days ago when I re-installed Mac OS X.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green and then you Repaired Permissions? What version of Office?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will need more help in trying to get Word up and running. Will pay the fee etc on Sunday 3rd July when I have more time to concentrate on what I am doing. Thank you for your on-going help.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK come back when ready
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I installed both MacBook OS X and Applications and did procedure with Repairs as you suggested. I still cannot open Word and iPhoto show photographs but I cannot open them. I have, as I told you lost all my Word documents - that is cannot find them etc. There are a lot of strange files on my Desktop. I have not tried to open or put them in trash.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I did not tell you to reinstall anything only to Verify Disk and Repair Permissions. Please try to answer my questions:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think I "re-installed" it was just that I hadn't installed it properly when you suggested! Microsoft Word is the word program. The automatic reply to my "installation" asks whether this version of Microsoft Word works with this version of Mac OS X. Then says that I may have to re-install Applications and any software updates. As I said I have used these programs on this MacBook for at least two years. It may have been the memory stick that copied Word and iPhoto that caused the problem about two weeks ago. Thank you for all your help so far.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What version of Office? and about “the memory stick that copied Word and iPhoto“ can you clarify that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Microsoft Word (500) Sundisk 2GB. I had files on it which I wanted to remove to make space for new files but when I tried to partition it I found all my Iphoto files and many Word files which I had not put on it were there. I tried to delete the iPhone files but could only do so one by one. Then I noticed that the Word files that I had created in the last ten months could not be opened and/or had disappeared. At that point I brought the MacBook to Typetech (recognised Mac agents) they could not retrieve the files so I brought the MacBook to Critiical Data services who thought they might be able to get the data from the hard drive. They gave me back the MacBook saying that they could not understand what had happened and that they only found one file, which they gave me on a memory stick.. Even that cannot be opened on my MacBook. Do you think I need to get /down load a new version of Microsoft Office as CDS suggested. I feel I should remove the Microsoft Word program that is on the computer before I do anything. This is a cut and paste of the message I get when I open Word.. Process: Microsoft Word [589]
Path: /Users/tishdolan/Desktop/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Word
Identifier: com.microsoft.Word
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: Unknown-91001~0
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [92]

Date/Time: 2011-07-05 10:15:14.194 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 8080 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 19
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 19
Anonymous UUID: 1D947E86-6024-471E-9F6F-53DF116C2406

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin
Referenced from: /Users/tishdolan/Desktop/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Word
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4163b dyld 132.1 (???) /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBook6,1, BootROM MB61.00C8.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.26 GHz, 2 GB, SMC 1.51f53
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, PCI, 256 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x93), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4)
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF, 232.89 GB
Serial ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8507, 0x24400000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x0236, 0x04600000 / 2
USB Device: BRCM2070 Hub, 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x06100000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth Module, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8218, 0x06130000 / 5
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok I never did get an answer to this question:

So Verify Disk was OK in green and then you Repaired Permissions? What version of Office 2008, 2011???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not know what color Verify disk was but I did get repaired permissions. I do not know what version of Office, that is why I sent all that stuff. I know that you are doing your very best to help and I appreciate all that you are doing. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please Verify Disk again an watch for OK in green. Do you have your Office install disk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Checked Verify disk and go sentence in the color green it reads "The volume HD appears to be OK" . I do not have Office install disk.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I’m afraid you will need the Office install disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have an Applications disk but I do not have Office Install disk. Is it possible to download Office on Safari? You are very helpful.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No you will have to ask Microsoft for a replacement disk do you have your serial number? Can you open Excel if so open it and go to Help / Check for updates