Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

Sad to say but when I set up my Linksys Model #WRT54GS V7 I

Sad to say but when I set up my Linksys Model #WRT54GS V7 I put the password XXXXX the back of a business card. Needless to say I've lost the card. Can you help? Its still working but my Daughter came over and when we tried to go online with her IPad it asked for the password, and dumb me didn't remember and could not find the card with the number.
Thank you in advance - Tom O'Grady ---- XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Please, do not forget to click the Accept button if you found my answer helpful.

On a computer that is connected to the router, perform the steps below:
- Click the following link ---> http://192.168.1.1
Leave the username blank
The default password XXXXX admin
- Click the Wireless link (your network name is XXXXX XXXXX)
- Click the Wireless security link (your wireless password XXXXX XXXXX here)

After you click the Accept button now, you can always continue communication with me if you have problems by logging into this site and pulling up this chat history.

Thank you,
- Jason

Mac Extraordinaire :

hello

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, let me know if that works for you. If not, I can walk you through resetting the router.

Mac Extraordinaire :

How is that coming along?

Customer:

Safari says that site is not responding

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

- Click the Apple icon on the top left area of your screen
- Click System Preferences
- Double click Network
- Click and choose the adapter that you are using to connect to the Internet
- Click the TCP/IP button

What is displayed for your IP Address and your "Router" number?

Customer:

10.10.10.1

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

What is the Router number?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Go to that address in your other Internet browser window, please: http://10.10.10.1

Mac Extraordinaire :

Does that come up?

Customer:

Yes, but asks for password.

Mac Extraordinaire :

ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

Leave the username blank and enter admin for the password

Mac Extraordinaire :

If that doesn't work, use the following:
Username: admin
Password: admin

Customer:

OK - that brought up a linksys page titled SETUP

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok great

Mac Extraordinaire :

Mac Extraordinaire :

Were you now able to find the password?

Customer:

the wireless link gave me the network name, which I already had but the security did not have anything about the password XXXXX it I wanted to change it.

Mac Extraordinaire :

What does that mean?

Mac Extraordinaire :

When you clicked the "Wireless Security" link, the password XXXXX be shown there.

Mac Extraordinaire :

You may have to delete it and create a new password.

Mac Extraordinaire :

If you are having troubles, I can remote in if you wish and locate that password XXXXX you.

Customer:

ON the wireless link there is a spot to click to reset password, but if I do that it will most likely ask for the origional password

Mac Extraordinaire :

Do not click that.

Customer:

ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

Below the wireless link, do you see a smaller "Wireless Security" link?

Customer:

yes

Mac Extraordinaire :

Full Size Image

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please click the "Wireless security" link

Mac Extraordinaire :

I posted a picture above that you can click to enlarge. The bottom red arrow is pointing to the Wireless security link.

Customer:

OK what am I looking at?

Mac Extraordinaire :

What is chosen for the "Security Mode"?

Customer:

WPA Personal

Mac Extraordinaire :

ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

The "Wpa Shared Key" is your wireless password.

Customer:

OK!!!

Mac Extraordinaire :

:)

Mac Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can help with before you click the Accept button today?

Mac Extraordinaire :

You may click the Accept button now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you,
- Jason

If you ever want to work with me as your expert in the future, please bookmark the following website. You can ask any future questions directly to me and I will be the expert assigned to your case: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/

Customer:

OK, I've got you bookmarked, Thank for the help. Is the $38.00 a one time charge?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you.

Mac Extraordinaire :

I do not have access to your account; I do not know what type of service you have setup. It will be a one time $38 charge unless you choose to have a monthly service.

Mac Extraordinaire :

When you accept, you will be given that option.

Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.