Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products

My keyboard is not typing the correct letters i.e, m is shown

My keyboard is not typing the correct letters i.e, m is shown as a question mark - a as a "q" - some are correct. This is happening on my iMac - I am typing this question on my mac book. I have tried a different keyboard and the same thing happens.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Which model Mac do you have and what version OS X is it running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
version 10.6.6 iMac desktop, 28 inch? the largest one - it is one year old 3.06 Ghz intel
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You should qlso knoz thqt ,y little ç yeqr old grqnd dqughter zqs the lqst one qt the keyboqrd:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just typed you a reply on my imac so you can see what is happening. I said My nine year old granddaughter was the last one at the keyboard.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I'm going to have you do a few things to maintain your Mac and fix the issue.

1) You're OS X is out of date. Please run Software Updates and install the updates.

2) Repair Disk Permissions on your Mac:

1. Log in to your computer with the administrative account. Open the hard drive, go into the "Applications" folder and then open the "Utilities" folder. Now launch the Disc Utility application.

2. Select your main hard drive. You'll probably see two options--one is the manufacturer's name of the disc and the other name is XXXXX XXXXX've called it. Choose the name of your hard drive.

3. Click on "Verify Disc Permissions" and the computer will perform a diagnostic test. After a few minutes, the problems with disk permissions will be reported in the Disc Utility window. Click on "Repair Disc Permissions" to fix them.

4. Insert your Mac OS X installation disk and restart your computer. Hold down the "C" key on your keyboard to boot from the disk rather than your computer's hard drive. Cancel the OS installation and open Disc Utility.

5. Click on "Verify" to have Disc Utility check your computer's hardware. Notice that this option is only available when the program is run from the CD. You can only test the hardware of a computer that isn't running the program locally.

6. Use Disc Utility to try and repair any hardware errors that it detects. Usually fixing the permissions will be enough to maintain your computer. If you still experience frequent lockups and crashes, then you should try repairing it with this method.

3) Reset PRAM and NVRAM:

-Shut down the computer.

-Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

-Turn on the computer.

-Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

-Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the 2nd time.

-Release the keys and let your system boot up.

4) Reset SMC of an iMac:

* Shut down your Mac
* Disconnect the power cord
* Press and hold the Mac’s power button for 5 seconds
* Release the button
* Reattach the power and boot the Mac as usual

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok - I tried everything you suggested and nothing worked - However, I am writing to tell you for future information. I happened to look up at my top tool bar in my finder and saw a flag... a french flag! I changed it to the US flag and bingo! My problem was solved!! I thought you would like to know in case anyone else has a grandchild who likes to alter someone else's computer! Thanks for all your help - My disc is clean now for sure!
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Congratulations you beat me to the next step. Your Granddaughter's interest in French is impressive!

Bon jour!