robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.
35592706

A year ago I purchased an iMac 24 and am printing photos on

Customer Question

A year ago I purchased an iMac 24 and am printing photos on an Epson r1800 wide format photo printer. I do high level printing using photoshop elements and ICC printing profiles, using all Epson inks and papers. Previously I was using a windows machine with the same software and printer. The issue I am having with the imac is that my prints are all coming out VERY dark. The blogs are full of this issue which seems to be based in the excessive luminance of the monitor. I have used the on screen controls to darken the screen as much as p[possible, but it is still too bright. I have purchased a iOne x-rite calibration device but hasn't be able to solve the issue, again because the screen luminance if out of the bounds of the industry standards. I even wrote a letter to Mr. Jobs, but ultimately was informed that this computer wasn't designed to do the level of printing I was doing and they couldn't/wouldn't help me. (although the current iMac now has total luminance adjustment and the problem is fixed on the new models) I have tried third party screen darkening software but it only artificially darkens the screen but not the actually technology behind it. I have to artificially over brighten the photos to get the right brightness from the printer, but this is an expensive trial and error process. Any suggestions??
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 5 years ago.
What type of suggestions are you looking for exactly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am looking for suggestions or methods to correct the dark printing issue.
Expert:  Robert O replied 5 years ago.
I work in an animation studio and can verify that the imac 24 was definitely not up to par when it comes to color matching with anything. The only way you are going to get the desired result is to possibly purchase either a new imac that does do what we like it to (the new i5 21" is our mainstay right now, color is VERY rich and pantones are a superb match!) or buy one of the newer LED apple screens and then attach it to your current mac. Expensive proposition, but i know that the iOne color calibrator works wonders on both of those.

Also, if you don't want to splurge on an apple screen, a Dell U2410 ultrasharp has a great color gamut at half the price of an apple cinema.

Also, you could print color swatches so you know what the output color is going to look like as a final result.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer seemed too simple...perhaps there is no other solution other than to get rid of my new computer but I am hoping that someone has a better alternative
I'm afraid there's not really any alternatives beyond what you've tried. You can't upgrade the iMacs screen, it is what it is unfortuntely.
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience: 2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.