John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

I have three spreadsheets in Excel 2011 Mac.They are attendee

Customer Question

I have three spreadsheets in Excel 2011 Mac.They are attendee lists for people registered for an conference held in 2009, 2010 and 2011. I need to compare the 2009 list to the 2011 list and get a list of names that attended in 2009 and did not attend in 2011. Same with the 2010 list. I need to get a list of names that attended in 2010 but did not attend in 2011. I know there's a way to compare the sheets and get the names, I don't know how to do it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

If you can put the three spreadsheets in the same workbook and send me that single file I will do my best to help you with it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already upload them to http://www.wikisend.com

I have uploaded the files. 867646, 733734, 344414. Thanks, Janet
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Hi Janet,

Couldn't you put them in a single file. Working with formulas between different files will be hard to set up on one system and make it work and diagnose on another system that has different folder structure

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sure, one spreadsheet with 3 columns.wikisend. 912276
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Great!

Ok so you want 2 new lists extracted from this data.

One showing the emails of those that are in the 2009 list but are not in the 2011 list

and

One showing the emails of those that are in the 2010 list but are not in the 2011 list

Correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is correct, we need to send a survey to find why the 2009 and the 2010 people did not attend in 2011. Can you do that? More importantly, can you teach me how to do it? TRANKS
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Yes I will send you both the formulas which you will be able to use on other lists, and the result of these lists. Will have them ready in 15 to 20 min...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok here you go

http://wikisend.com/download/514426/09,10,11%20attendee%20email1.xlsx

The formulas are on the first sheet in the yellow cells. Then the contents of these cells was transferred to a new sheet called 'Final' which you can use to copy the lists from in case you want to copy them to other files or documents

Hope this is ok. Please spot check the lists to make sure the understanding is correct.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Did you get the file?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't downloaded it yet to look af it, I'll do that now. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This formula looks like EXACTLY what I was looking for

=IF(COUNTIF($C$2:$C$1556,A3)>0,"",A3)

Can you help me by explaining the formula? So I can reason it out in my head, the next time I have to do this?

thanks

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Thanks :)

Ok what that formula in that particular cell does is the following:

- it reads the email in the corresponding cell in column A, i.e. cell A3.

- it then looks for that email in the list C2:C1556.

- if it finds a match, it will return a blank (or nothing).

- if it does not find a match, it will display the email that is in A3

Hope this makes it clear

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANKS A MILLION!!! seriously wish I'd asked you before I spent hours trying to figure this out first myself,
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome. Glad I could help :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you have a look at the formula again for me

column E (attended in 2009 but not in 2011) has this formula

=IF(COUNTIF($C$2:$C$1556,A3)>0,"",A3)
This forumla Searches the C column to see if there is a match in column A. If there is a match it displays the email from column A, if not, it returns a black.

column F (attended in 2010 but not in 2011) has this formula

=IF(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$1216,A2)>0,"",A2)
Does this forumla search column C to see if there is a match in column B? I'm looking for people that attended in 2010 Dallas (Column B) but did not attend in 2011 Nashville (column c)

Can you clarify please?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Yes you are right. The formulas in F should compare column B and C, not A. Sorry about that

Here is the corrected file

http://wikisend.com/download/259356/09,10,11%20attendee%20email1a.xlsx

Please check it and let me know if it needs anything else

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do need one more thing, thanks.

I need to know the formula to look in column c and see if there is a match in column A AND column B and if there is a match, return that email to a new column is no match return blank cell.

So that would be the attendees who attended in 2009 Vancouver AND 2010 Dallas but did NOT attend in 2011 Nashville.

I can't figure out the part of the formula that checks those two columns at the same time.

If you want me to post this as a new questions, I can do that.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

If I understand you correctly, that would require two more columns with formulas and each formula would have two conditions to check

First column would take A2 and look for a match in col B. If found then look for a match of A2 in col C. If not found in C then return the value of A2

Same will apply to the next column, but instead of taking A2 it would take B2

If so I am afraid this is a much more complicated set of conditions and I think you should consider this as a new question (but you can still post it on this page if you like)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is the complicated set of conditions I'm looking for the answer from.

Please consider it a new question.

Is there anything else I need to do to make it a new question?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

No you do not need to do anything now. I will be posting the file here in a couple of hours. You will have the chance to accept the answer if you are satisfied with the solution

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank very much!
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok here you go

http://wikisend.com/download/361304/09,10,11%20attendee%20email2.xlsx

The new formulas are in the 3 green columns. The last column (i.e. column J) is the combined result

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In column J in row 183 and 177 and 261 (for example) there are two email addresses combined in one cell?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

No problem I will take care of that now. Is the rest of the list ok?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see this personXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

She attended Vancouver 2009 and Dallas 2010 but did not attend Nashville 2011
So her email is in Column A (2009), B(2010), E,(in 2009 but not in 2011) F(in 2010 but not in 2011) H (attended in 2009 and 2010 but not in 2011)

Should her email address be in column I as well (attended in 2010 and in 2009 but not in 2011)

I'm just not clear on what the two new columns represent? How are they different?

Thanks very much.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Cannot see that person's email. It came through like this

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Please send it again after replacing the "@" sign with the word " AT " with spaces

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
bernadette.jacob AT facilicorpnb.ca
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok

I added a new column which takes care of and removes all repetitions and shows only the final unique list. This would be your final column, hence columns H, I and J can be kept hidden

http://www.2shared.com/file/imGHQ0uk/091011_attendee_email2a.html

Please check it and let me know if it still needs any tweaking

Thanks

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This looks good, thanks for all your help. I never and I mean NEVER could have come up with this on my own.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Awesome. Glad it worked for you. Thanks so much