Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

How do I delete someone elses apple id off my iphone4 (I

How do I delete someone else's apple id off my iphone4? (I don't have her password.)

She stayed here for a while, and apparently set up her own apple id on my iphone4. Now when I try to download updates from Apps, when they want my password, it's her apple id that comes up--not mine. Thanks, Terry
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

Ipod Specialist :

Hi Terry

Ipod Specialist :

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Ipod Specialist :

Let's first check whether you will be able to sign out of her account. Go to Settings > store. There, you will find her account listed. Click on it and then on "sign out"

Customer:

When I click Settings and Store, I have only a page that says, "Sign in." Terry

Ipod Specialist :

Ok. Let's click on sign in and try to login using your apple id

Customer:

Doing that brings me to a Store page that offers Music, Apps, Books, and Cellular. They're all turned off, but should I make another choice?

Ipod Specialist :

It means you are signed in

Ipod Specialist :

Now try to update your apps

Customer:

When I click App Store, expecting to update some apps, I get a Search window! When I then go back to the Apps icon, it brings me to the same window.

Ipod Specialist :

When you click on "app store" icon - you will have some tabs listed to the bottom such as "featured, categories, top 25, search, updates". click on updates

Customer:

Nope. I get the Search window, with .?123, space, and search at the bottom.

Ipod Specialist :

got you. just tap on the dark area between the search box and the keyboard.

Customer:

Don't quite understand those last directions, sorry. In the search window, I searched for Applications, and when I got there, I had the tabs you mentioned above. But it's still her email address that comes up. And I have no idea what her password XXXXX

Ipod Specialist :

ok. let's try this. click on the "featured" tab. Now, scroll down to the very bottom. You may find her email address listed there. If it is there, tap on her name and click on sign out.

Customer:

Did that, but it is my address that is there, and not hers.

Ipod Specialist :

then I guess the app you are trying to update is downloaded using her account, is that correct?

Ipod Specialist :

try to update a different app which you are sure that you have downloaded using your account

Customer:

I called up one that I know I loaded, but don't see where I can update it. Doesn't Apps send out updates when it wants?

Ipod Specialist :

To update the app, we have to go to the "app store" icon, click on "updates" to the bottom right corner. It will show up all the apps that has updates. You will be able to update from there.

Customer:

OK, when I do that, it brings up six for updating. None of which I uploaded.

Ipod Specialist :

Ok. so they may have been downloaded using her apple id. That is the reason why you are not able to update it. Just to make sure, try to download a new free app.

Customer:

Like I initially said, when I try to download updates from Apps, when they want my password, it's her apple id that comes up--not mine.

Ipod Specialist :

It may be because you are trying to update apps downloaded using a different id. That is the reason why I suggest you to try downloading a new free app, just to check whether it is her id still coming in.

Customer:

OK, I tried to install Notes Lite, which I had previously loaded, then deleted. Didn't like it. That one pulls up my e-mail, so it'd be OK if I wanted it. (I don't.) But how can pull up NEW apps that I may want to download w/o her e-mail address coming up, asking for her Apple ID Password?

Ipod Specialist :

Let's try to download one now.

Customer:

That did it! When I tried to install three different ones, it pulled up my e-mail address, and not hers. Can you tell me how you did it, or is that against the rules? Thanks, Vinod!

Ipod Specialist :

Great to hear that :)

Ipod Specialist :

When you try to update an app, it can be updated only using the email id using which it was bought

Ipod Specialist :

So I guess you were trying to update apps which were downloaded using hers. So once you signed in using your id, may be that did the trick

Customer:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree there. I fully believe that I purchased all the apps I've been trying to update. When I ask, "Do I want to be happy, or do I want to be right?"--I want to be happy. So it doesn't matter how you fixed it. And I'll keep her off my phone! ;-)

Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products