John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I use Excel for Mac, 2008. My question will reveal my complete

Customer Question

I use Excel for Mac, 2008. My question will reveal my complete lack of know-how on excel:

I'm creating a list of keywords. I have two columns of keywords. Column A has about 40, each of which need to be tacked onto the 20 keywords (primary) in column B, such that the result is a long list of about 1000 keywords. Please advise.
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have 47 keywords in Column A, and 27 keywords in Column B. The A words are to be extensions of the B words, such that the first word in B needs to be 47 keywords, and the second keyword in B, needs to be 47 keywords (with all of the 47 'A' words as extensions.

For example: the first word in the B list is 'multifamily'. The first three words in A are:
1. research
2. reports
3. survey

This needs to be:
1. multifamily research
2. multifamily reports
3. multifamily survey
(all the way down to 47)

So, each of the 27 words in 'B' needs to 'front-end' each of the words in A. It should turn into 1269 keywords.

Hmm, I see I think this has to do with concatenation, but you'll need an Excel expert for this. I'll make sure other experts see this as well, but I don't have this answer readily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks
No problem!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When will someone get back to me?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Would you be able to send me the excel file so I can set up the formulas (or macro). To do so go to http://www.wikisend.com/ nd upload the file then copy the "File ID" that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello John,

Here it is: http://wikisend.com/download/329260/Axiometrics Keyword Workbook.xlsx

Thanks,
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello John, did you get the file ok?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Yes Steve I got the file, thanks

Reviewing it now...

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok I can do that with formulas. The result will be in the same row as the word in A. For example the 27 combinations of "research" in A1 will be listed horizontally in row 1 from column C to column AC.

Let me know if this works for you

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

Ok here is the file with the formulas in the yellow cells. I also produced a second list on Sheet2 with 'fixed' results in case you want to copy the list to another spreadsheet

FILE

Hope this is ok. Please check it and let me know if it needs any tweaking or if you have any questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello John,

Column B is the prefix, and Column A is the suffix. You've combined the Columns in reverse order.

Other than that, it looks good :)

Also, please send the formula so that I can do this myself in the future.

I appreciate your help very much.

Best,
Steve
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok Steve here is the file with the switched results

FILE

The formulas are there in the yellow cells. Just click on any yellow cell and you will see the formula in the Formula Bar on top

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello John,

The order is correct, but the formula is not working right. The first hint that it's not working correctly is the resulting number of keywords, about 700, when it should be 1296.

Looking more closely, the first prefix, multifamily, is used many more times than 48, the total number of suffixes.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Steve
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Steve, there could be various interpretations to what you are trying to do. Could you tell me what the desired results should be for cells C2, D2 and C3 in the file that I sent you. That way I'll know exactly what is needed

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John,
Sorry for the confussion. I may not be explaining this very well.

In Column B, the first keyword is 'multifamily', and it should 'front-end' each of the 48 keywords in Column A, i.e.:

multifamily research
multifamily report
multifamily survey
etc.

All resulting 1296 keyword combinations can be in a single column.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Steve
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Not,"etc" . I wanted you to open my file and give me the desired results in these specific cells

C2

D2

C3

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John,
You can put all of the resulting combinations in a single column. I never asked for separate columns. You're making this more difficult than it is. Here is my example:

C2
multifamily research
multifamily report
multifamily survey
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.(48 combinations)
multifamily investing research
multifamily investing report
multifamily investing survey
.
.
.
.
.(48 combinations)
multifamily leasing research
multifamily leasing report
multifamily leasing survey
.
.
.
(48 combinations) ...and so on.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Steve
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok I think I understand now what you are saying. Here is the corrected file

FILE

Hope it is ok now

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Looks good. Thanks!
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome. Glad to help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, one last thing. Can you generate a csv file with all resulting keyword combintations in a single column. I'm having trouble uploading the file as is. Thanks
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks!
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

No problem :)