John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

I have Mac Excel 14.1. This problem began a few weeks ago,

I have Mac Excel 14.1. This problem began a few weeks ago, when I upgraded from an earlier version

I'm fluent in Excel. I'm trying to display numbers with the "comma" format, and the usual things don't work. I click on the comma in the ribbon - doesn't work. I select the cell and go to number format, check the comma box - doesn't work. On the other hand I can change the number of digits to the right of the decimal using either ribbon or number format box.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

So you can get the number formatted correctly with regard to the number of decimals that you choose, but the comma separator is not showing.

Is this happening in all workbooks, old and new, or just in a specific one

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This happens in all workbooks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
making sure you got my response - this happens in all workbooks.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok in that case the problem is probably in your system regional settings (Mac preferences). Make sure the correct country is chosen and that comma is set to be your number separator

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just checked my Mac Prefs for Language and Text. The US setting is correct, and the customize is set for commas as thousand separator - but, you know what? Even in the example it presents in that Prefs box, it shows periods but no commas! So maybe this is a higher level problem, and not excel?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok just to make sure it is not an excel setting, check your International Settings in Excel Preferences and make sure the 'Use system separators" box is checked

graphic

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is Excel's International setting on Mac?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

It should be under Edit > Preferences

I can give you the code that will set it up for you if you like

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.