MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have an iPad 1 and a tiscali email address. I have set my

Customer Question

I have an iPad 1 and a tiscali email address. I have set my iPad up to accept incoming messages but it won't let me send emails. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
First, make sure in your iPad under Settings>Mail Contacts, Calendars that your Tiscali email settings are set with the POP3 (incoming) and SMTP (outgoing) mail server addresses are set with these correct addresses:
    Tiscali Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.tiscali.com (port 110)
    Outgoing Mail Server - use your local ISP SMTP mail server

• Now here is the clue for your Outgoing mail server (SMTP) ---you have to use the outgoing mail server address from your Internet Provider (ISP).
• for example, if you have AT&T as your ISP, your SMTP (outgoing) mail server would be: smtp1.attglobal.net or if you were going through Charter as your ISP it would be smtp.charter.net, Comcast would smtp.comcast.net and so on.

• So input your own ISP's outgoing mail server address in your email acccount settings for your Tiscali account within your iPad and you should be able to send out emails.

Please let me know if this helps.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

Please do not press "Accept" until you have experienced a resolution from this answer and are satisfied with the results.

If you have not achieved the desired resolution with this answer for any reason, please update me as necessary, with details of what you experienced.

This will allow me to continue working to resolve this technical issue for you.

I will be watching for your next reply.

Thanks!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks,

how will i find out what my ISP outgoing mail server address is?

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I should be able to help you with that.

Who do you use for your Internet service for your home (or office)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
BT
Thanks for your update.

Here is the information for BT Broadband for its outgoing mail server (SMTP) address

• The SMTP server (outgoing mail) is mail.btinternet.com
  • The SMTP server can use either port 25 or port 587.
Let me know if this helps.

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi terry,

That did not work, but i think i might know why!!

I have two Internet lines in my house, BT and Tiscali.

I have no longet got the Tiscali connected and only use the BT one but still have my Tiscali line and email address.

Will the reason it will noit work be because i an trying to send emails through BT? and if that is the case how come i can receive them OK.

Tim

Thanks for the update Tim and sorry for the delay, I was trying to figure that out myself.

I can tell you that if you are just using BT Internet then the POP and the SMTP mail server addresses for that ISP is the same:
mail.btinternet.com

Have you tried setting up your email with this address, for both incoming and outgoing email to see if it would work?

Also what port are you using?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If i change the Incoming Mail Server Host Name to mail.btinternet.com then it does not work. It comes up with the message "the user name or password XXXXX mail.btinternet is incorrect.

it is set up as pop.tiscali.co.uk and this works for incoming mails. But smtp.tiscali.co.uk does not verify for ourgoing

i am using port 587 for the Tiscali one.

This is an update to let you know your session is still in effect. Please update me as to the current status of your email issue with your tiscali account, so I can resume assisting you.

When responding, please be as detailed as you need to be in order to update me as to what has transpired with your account, since our last correspondence and I will work as diligently as I can to help bring this issue to as close to a full resolution as possible.

Thank you.

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's still not working.

What information do you require.

Tim
Greetings Tim and thanks for your reply back.

Actually I am checking for a status update for starters. Have you contacted your ISP (Internet Service Provider) BT, to find out if there are any known issues with their SMTP mail server address in its working with Apple iPads?

I think this would be a good start Tim just to confirm that the SMTP server is able to work with iPads (I don't see why it would not work) and also to bring to BT Broadband's attention the issue you are having, and to have them check your settings and port address from their side to see if you may need to change some detail to fit their server specs on your iPad, so you can start sending your tiscali emails with the BT Broadband SMTP.

Keep me posted.

-Terry