Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Macbook Pro 15 wont come out of sleep mode. How can I

Customer Question

My Macbook Pro 15" won't come out of sleep mode. How can I reboot without being able to see what's on the screen? I have taken the battery out and reinstalled but no luck getting the screen up. I feel like it's in sleep mode because the caps lock won't light up at any point when I press it. Thanks for any help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Steve :

Hi, I'm here to help with your Mac questions. I'm willing to keep working until you are satisfied. Try this and let me know what happens: remove the battery, then plug the power cord in, press the power button. It should boot up but may take a long time. Let me know what happens.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

thanks, trying that now

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

Is it supposed to boot with the battery removed?

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

it's not booting or anything, no lights, no sounds

Steve :

They can boot without the battery if they are plugged in.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

no luck here with that, unless it's booting and not showing any lights or making sounds :)

Steve :

Try holding down the power button for like 10 seconds. This will force it to shut down if it is in a frozen state. Let me know what it does.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

nothing. Battery is out, power is plugged in and green on the input light, as if it's charged

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

ok, I plugged it into a different power cord. and it made the sound like when you open the lid after sleep but same effect it had when it was running on the battery

Steve :

Disconnect everything. Put the battery back in. Plug it back into the wall and try again with holding the power button then pressing it normally. Let me know what it does.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

blank screen

Steve :

Blank meaning black or gray?

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

black, like it's not on at all

Steve :

Do this: Disconnect everything. Put the battery back in. Plug it back into the wall and try again with holding the power button then pressing it normally. Let me know what it does.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

2 things I notice that are wierd: 1 the light on the front on the button you use to open the lid is contstant lit, no phasing between brightness like usual, and 2) the caps lock won't light when pressed

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

battery is back in, plugged in, held the power button for 5 seconds, light went out on the button that opens the door. pressed the power button again, and it made the sound as if it's coming out of sleep but still same exact problem

Steve :

Try pressing Command Control and Power buttons all together at the same time.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

k, light went out again on front

Steve :

and?

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

still out, should I turn it back it on.

Steve :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

same thing, just acted like it was coming out of sleep. Light on front is steady, no change in brightness.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

It's like it never shuts down all the way, just goes to sleep with every effort.

Steve :

Try this: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Steve :

Then let me know. If that doesn't work, I'll do some more research and get back in an hour.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

okay, but I can't shut it down

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

step 1

Steve :

Just go thru the whole list.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

did it, same thing still happening. Made the sound like it's coming out of sleep, no startup tone, just like it was asleep.

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

I gotta leave in 20 minutes for a meeting so I guess I'll just take it down to mac store. Thanks for trying

JACUSTOMER-a9vjo0jp- :

how do I get my deposit back?

Steve :

Take the battery out and leave it out for 20 minutes. That should cause it to go completely off. Then do that last set again.

Steve :

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us is customer service.

Steve :

Did taking the battery out for a longer time help with this issue?