Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How to install virus protection on my Mac mini YM8145/Yl.

I have a constantly appearing notice that my computer is infected (a red triangle with an exclamation mark in the center), but downloading the proffered virus removal and protection program requires me to register (yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the center). The program asserts that the purchase will protect me from credit card number theft, etc.. However, registration requires my credit card number. I'm sure you can appreciate the irony. Is this an Apple or otherwise Apple sanctioned program or a product of some nasty infection?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

That is a SCAM going around, don't give you credit card info to them. That is a MALWARE ! Apple Never send anything like that to you. What is the name of the application that you're asked to purchase ? Is it Mac Defender or Mc Protector or Mac Guard ?

Are you getting any porn ads on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The program calls itself "Mac Guard." Despite my popup blocker being turn "on," I am routinely getting Viagra ads and suddenly on a Gay website.

How can I get rid of it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The program calls itself "Mac Guard." Despite my pop up blocker being turn "on," I am routinely getting Viagra ads and suddenly on a Gay website.

How can I get rid of it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Your Mac is affected with that Malware. Mac Defender or Mac Protector or Mac Guard (three of them are same) is the one of the worst virus for Mac. It is not destructive to your Mac, but its makes you to buy something from the creator, it steals your credit card info. It will ask you to register the product by asking you to give your Credit Card number. If you don't register it, it will show porn ads on your Mac. So don't give your credit card info to them...

Follow the instructions below to remove it;

1. Move or close the Scan Window
  2. Go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and launch Activity Monitor
  3. Choose All Processes from the pop up menu in the upper right corner of the window
  4. Under the Process Name column, look for the name of the Mac Guard application . If you find Mac Defender or Mac Security in there, then select them. They are all same.
  5. Click the Quit Process button in the upper left corner of the window and select Quit
  6. Quit Activity Monitor application
  7. Open the Applications folder
  8. Locate the Mac Guard app (or MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector or other name)
  9. Drag to Trash, and empty Trash

Or Here is steps with pictures : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-mac-guard

(Also, if you gave your credit card info to them, your Credit Card is in danger, contact your Credit Card company immediately and ask them to block all charges from that Mac Protector or Mac Defender or Mac Guard company and also, change your security info of the card ASAP)

After removing it, restart your Mac. Let me know if that didn't worked...

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Are you able to remove it from your Mac ? If so, please don't forget to click Accept. If not, please let me know.