Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have footage in wideformat and want to make a dvd that can

Customer Question

I have footage in wideformat and want to make a dvd that can be viewed on both widescreen and regular 4:3 without the 4:3 being chopped off. Help! I will be using FCP and burning with iDVD.

Sandra
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You need to use 16X9 Anamorphic. The way the user sees it kind of depends on the setting on their DVD player but that should work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I choose that setting the video gets s t r e t c h e d from left to right. What is the cure for that isssue.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not ignoring you, I am still trying. Under Sequence---Settings--General, where I click on Anamprphic 16:9 what should all the other settings be?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry forget Anamorphic since you are using iDVD and not DVD Studio Pro just export normally and follow the directions on that page.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so far this has not helped
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me more information? What happened?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh, I checked the anamprph option exported using QTM conversion dragged over to iDVD and burned the vid. Played it back on a regular old tv and though it was not chopped off on the sides it was s t r e t c h e d which is the problem I am trying to solve.

I know you said not to check the anamorph box but that did not work either. I'm going nuts here.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you do it this way?

1. After you have exported the movie from Final Cut Pro, open it in QuickTime Player.
    • If the movie is displayed at 16:9 widescreen in QuickTime Player, there's no need to continue these steps. iDVD will treat the movie as widescreen.
    • If the movie is displayed in QuickTime Player at 4:3 or 3:2 (not widescreen), continue with the steps below.
  2. Choose Window > Show Movie Properties.
  3. In the Properties window, click Video Track in the Name column.
  4. Click the Visual Settings button.
  5. Deselect the checkbox for Preserve Aspect Ratio.
  6. Change the Scaled Size:
    • For NTSC, enter 853 x 480.
    • For PAL, enter 1024 x 576.
    Now the movie should be displayed at a 16:9 aspect ratio.
  7. Choose File > Save to save the movie.
Now you're ready to create a widescreen iDVD project that will handle the movie as intended.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just a note that I still have not figured this out. I am working on it and if I find a solution I will share it with you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You still haven’t/t answered me if you did it that way or not. I can’t solve the problem without some feedback.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,
I don't know what happened to my response. What happened was that I tried the squence that you posted above. Step 4 was not available in Quicktime.

Anyway, the good news is that I figured out a sequence that works perfectly!

In FCP:
New Project
Sequence---Settings--Frame Size=1920 X 1080 HDTVi (16:9)
check anamorphic

open your vid file, drag to timeline, select yes if the footage aspect ratio differes from the sequence settings.

In Viewer or Canvas click on image+wireframe and shrink down so that there is black space around the frame.

File---Export---Using Quicktime Conversion

Dimensions--make equal to Frame Size from Sequence Settings
Check on Preserve aspect ratio using Letterbox

Save

Open iDVD, select a widescreen for format.

Choose a wide format template.

Burn DVD.

Now it will play on both a wide screen television and an old junker square one without being stretched wide or squished.

Sandra

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK Great!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, if anyone ever asks you how to do this you can give them this answer.

I have been trying to figure this out for months and dreaded having to sit for hours and figure it out.

Sandra
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
So what I told you had nothing to do with the soluton?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. It might have if in Quicktime Player the options you suggested were available, but for some reason on mine they were not.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well if you had come back I could have cleared that up you need to use QuickTime Player 7 which is an optional Install on 10.6 but you can get it other ways. OK well anyway really glad you fixed that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have version 10.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Right but most people who do video have both because the older version has more features go figure.