Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

My email is actually myXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Someone has gotten

Customer Question

My email is actually myXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Someone has gotten a hold of it, and is now sending emails from me with no subject line all over the world and to all of my friends, locking up their computers. What can I do to make this stop? I also have a Gmail account and a live account

Also, how do I turn on my video on Yahoo? I have an OSX system, so it should come on when I use ichat, and it does, but how can I do it without using ichat?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Please, let me know when you are ready to begin.

I will be standing by.

Customer:

I will be around all night. Please let me know when you are online.

Customer:

Tomorrow is okay too. Thanks.

Mac Extraordinaire :

hello

Customer:

Hi.

Mac Extraordinaire :

First off, I suggest that you change your email password.

Customer:

How do I fix this thing with the stolen id?

Customer:

OK, but it was a military password!

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok, I do not understand the military reference.

Customer:

The passwords are complex.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

When this particular things happens, sometimes it is a result of rogue spam companies using your name and email to send emails through their own servers.

Customer:

So, I change my password, but what about my userid?

Mac Extraordinaire :

The problem in these cases, is that even though the emails seem to be coming from "your email address", they are actually coming from external mail servers.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yeah. So it's beyond my capability to fix.

Mac Extraordinaire :

For example, even if you canceled your User id and destroyed it, the spam company will still have the email addresses from your address book and still send out emails.

Mac Extraordinaire :

In short, yes.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Do you ONLY use your Mac that is running Mac OS X on it?

Customer:

OK. That's what I'll tell my friends. Yes.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Customer:

what about video without using ichat?

Mac Extraordinaire :

So, you cannot view the video camera with Yahoo Messenger?

Customer:

I don't know how.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Oh ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

One moment, please.

Mac Extraordinaire :

- Open yahoo Messenger
- In the top menu bar, click EDIT > PREFERENCES
- Click the Video & Voice link in the left area
- In the right area, pull down the menu for the Camera value

Mac Extraordinaire :

Which values do you see there?

Customer:

Oh, I actually have a webcam bar up top. So that's how this one works.

Customer:

Cool. I can do this. Thank you. I will accept. You were very helpful!

Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.