Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

New Mac user, long time adobe user. Just created a word document

New Mac user, long time adobe user. Just created a word document - text and photos (6.7MB). Converted it in Mac version Word (save as pdf) and the file is now 101.5MB. It's too big to email. Did I miss a step?

Thank you Susan
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
What version of OS X are you using? Find this in 'About this Mac' in the Apple menu.
Converted it as opposed to saving as?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mac Os X Version 10.6.7 I opened my .doc file and saved as pdf.

Thank you
Susan, you are welcome. Does that mean it is solved? I use Preview for doing all my PDF work, find that in Applications, looks like this.
I think once you try it you will like it. Much faster than Adobe although it has some limitations.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked out preview, but was unable to open Word files (only existing pdf files). I wish to convert a doc file to a pdf file that isn't 15 times larger after the converstion.
Ok, try the print option from Word but instead of printing select
Open PDF in Preview or save as PDF and then Preview will do it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was able to convert to a pdf, but my problem is not solved. the newly created pdf is still 101.5 MB where the doc started as 6.7MB.

In the past, when I did this conversion on my PC, similar documents in pdf would be about 20% the size of the Word document, but with the MAC they are 15 times larger. That is my problem to resolve, not how to convert quickly.
In Preview there is an option of resizing the document located in Tools.